We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip with a child

Downham Market...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip with a child

Hi

Looking for some general advice. We are at the very beginning of planning our trip to Oz. We plan to depart LHR 12 dec 2014 and look to arrive in Sydney by 17 December.

We are attending a wedding so will be in Sydney until 22nd December. Fly somewhere and be back in Sydney on Tuesday 30th December and then fly back home to U.K. on 2nd January 2015.

We visited Australia back in 2000 - came out via Singapore, went to cairns, Melbourne and Sydney and went back via Hong Kong and had a great time.

Our dilemma now is that on this trip we will have an almost 8 year old boy who loves swimming and at this moment in time has no interest in museums or anything too cultural (have we raised a heathen??!!)

So..... Any recommendations for outward bound stopover - tempted by Singapore again not sure that KL will suit child - Thai beaches possible?

WHERE shall we spend Christmas and beyond - looking from 22nd December and be back in Sydney for 30th - we want it to be memorable for our son. Happy to fly again. We want a modicum of luxury - 4 star accommodation or similar....

Coming back we are hoping to return via Dubai

Thanks to anybody that is able to give some suggestions as to what to do.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip with a child

To me it sounds like you need to be at a beach resort over Christmas. Since Christmas is in summer here in Sydney, it will make a perfect time to book that beachfront place, in a resort town up or down the coast from Sydney. And spending Christmas in the surf sounds like it will be something different for all of you.

You'll have plenty to choose from, but you'll need to start thinking about booking it soon - these places sell out.

My first thought would be somewhere like Coffs Harbour, but Batemans Bay, Byron Bay, Port Macquarie, are also options. There are prettier, more laid back options like Jervis Bay, Narooma, but they lack some other diversions for an 8-year-old.

You'll have no problem finding 4-star places in any of those towns. But if you book soon you'll also have the option of booking a cabin at a Caravan Park on the beach or near to it. These can be quite comfortable, and a very traditional Australian Christmas setting. They also have jumping things, playing things, bike riding things, and other kids to play with.

Get your beach fix in Australia, then you can do KL or Singapore on the way. If you stop in KL, you'll have quite a few options for comfortable accommodation with nice pools and facilities in the hotel, and you can do trips out during the day. You can get the same thing in Singapore, but it doesn't seem as common to get those types of facilities in Singapore, and if you do you'll certainly be paying more.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 21:40
Downham Market...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip with a child

Thanks for taking the time to reply - also looking at Gold Coast for Christmas week....

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip with a child

Depends what you want ... the north coast towns of NSW are lovely little towns with uncrowded beaches. Coffs Harbour has loads for kids to do including the beach. The Gold Coast is full-on tourist mecca with theme parks galore and of course busier and more expensive.

So it depends on what you consider "memorable" ... most kids would choose the Gold Coast I think.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip with a child

I would do some research into the GC as many parts at xmas are overrun and really not great. Also- if you are not confident beach goers in surf- I would be very careful about the surf as many of the beaches on that stretch are long and not protected and hence get rough. Smaller beaches like Burleigh , Cabarita and Kingscliff are also nice have more village feel but still busy as its peak holiday time.

You could consider Noosa which is smaller and a better beach. You could do a day trip to Fraser Island. Also a day trip to Australia Zoo from there. There are small river cruises and plenty of activities for a your 8 year old.

Singapore -Only a few hotels have a good kid pool. In my experience for that age group- the pool only holds them for a few days and then it does get boring unless they have friends to mix it up with. Lots to do in Singapore as well - Universal Studios - good for that age group, Zoo, Night Safari .

KL- sorry I really dont like travelling in KL with kids. You would have to go to an island like Penang-maybe up at Batu Ferringhi or Langkawai.

But you can never beat a good Aussie beach holiday for clean air, water and a shame not to spend the time where its taken you hours to get to!

Edited: 23 January 2014, 00:27
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip with a child

We are in port Macquarie at the moment an each morning head to the beach across the road. Daily surfing lessons under very professional instructors are happening with loads of young kids participating. Worth a thought if your son loves swimming.

Downham Market...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip with a child

Thanks again for the replies - after more thinking we want to see the great barrier reef too.

Just got to get my head around timings and how long we want to stay in each place...

Downham Market...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip with a child

hi millsie58

Port Macquarie looks lovely - can you let me know any accommodation you can recommend there and who is actually doing the surfing lessons?

8. Re: Planning trip with a child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:20