We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

Sengkang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

I will be in Australia for 15 days and i am considering self drive for some areas so need some advice and feedback.

I am considering one self drive route either from Sydney to Brisbane then to Gold coast or from Sydney to Melborne.

Below are the options considered:

Option 1)

- Land in Sydney, take internal flight to Brisbane, then drive to Gold Coast.

- Take flight from Gold coast to Melborne

- Drive from Melborne to Sydney

Option 2)

- Land in Sydney, take internal flight to Melborne

- Take flight from Melborne to Brisbane and drive to Gold Coast

- Drive from Gold coast to Sydney

As i land in Sydney and departing from Sydney so i will need to eventually return to Sydney. This is my first time in Australia.

Can anyone advice which is a nicer route to take (place to visit and perhaps taste some wine)?

Thanks in advance.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,631 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

hello Dreamyworld - have you read the information in the "Drive to..." links immediately to the right of the box your post is in?

What do you want to see on this holiday?

What is your budget?

What month will you be visiting?

Is it just you? or do you have a partner or family with you?

Apart from somw wine, what else are you interested in?

All thses things will help us give you sugestions.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 08:42
Sengkang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

My apologies, didnt see the link as its my first time posting at trip advisor.

What do you want to see on this holiday?

The must see for first timers (actually there are too many things to see and i jus cannot decide). Mainly visit Philip island, see whales, visit winery and the city landscapes.

What is your budget?

Budget should be sometime affordable but on the low side.

What month will you be visiting?

10th Oct to 25th Oct 2014

Is it just you? or do you have a partner or family with you?

Its 4 of us travelling together.

Apart from somw wine, what else are you interested in?

- some scenary and vist the major places of interest

All thses things will help us give you sugestions.

Sengkang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

Just to add on, its 4 adults travelling in case you wonder if there are kids around.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,631 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

you will get more specific advice if you can tell us a $$ amount/night/room rather than saying something like <<Budget should be sometime affordable but on the low side.>> Do keep in mind capital cities and Sydney & Melbourne in particular are expensive if you want to stay right in the centre of town. Check out sites like www.stayz.com.au or www.wotif.com.au to get some ideas.

If you make a short list you can then check revies via the link in green bar at the top of each forum.

Have a look too at the 'things to do' list (also in the green bar at the top) and make a list of the things that interest you. If you need more info on these things you can also do a forum search - the search box is directly above your post and at the top of the list of posts on each forum page. Valuable into can be found in all the previous posts this will bring you to. You should also look for trip reports (also sometimes called JBRs - just back reports) - there are lots linked on the right but you will also find more by using the search box.

You should also search the froums for info on car rental - there are some companies that are best to avoid, and do know too, that one way rentals will incur one-way fees.

Spend some time looking round TA - there is lots of info there and do come back when you have narrowed things down a bit more. If you make a list of the things/places you want to see we can help you sort them into a workable itinerary

cheers

helen

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,919 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

How about Option3:.

Fly between Sydney, Melbourne and The Gold Coast and rent a car in each city to explore the surrounding areas.

Around Sydney you have the Blue Mountains and the South and Central Coast as well as the Hunter Valley if you like wine regions.

Near Melbourne you could visit Philip Island to see the penguins and other wildlife, the Great Ocean Road, The Mornington Peninsula and Healesville and the Yarra Valley - again, a wine growing region.

Not Far from the Gold Coast you could explore the Gold Coast Hinterland, the Sunshine Coast and Hinterland, the Glasshouse Mountains and Byron Bay and surrounds.

Honestly, the drive between Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane isn't much to get excited about no matter which route you take. And to get anywhere nice you need to divert from the highways.

Internal fares are cheap as chips as long as you book far enough in advance and I think you could make better use of your time than spending hours staring at bitumen.

Sengkang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

Thanks thmoore and evamelb for the advice! I am trying to decide on the exact places to visit and making sure they are on the way. I will post to this thread again to ask for the opinion once i settle the exact sites that i want to visit meanwhile look for cheap fares to travel around the cities.

Thanks again.

7. Re: Drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melborne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:21