We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

Bandar Seri...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

Hello!! We are planning a two week trip in march from Sydney to Melbourne.

We are struggling with where to stay, what to see and which route to drive.

Our kids are 6 years, 4 years and 6 months. So we would like to have a great and relaxt Holiday also for them. So we don't want to hurry but we don't want to miss the highlights. :-)

We are thinking about staying at farmstays or B and B or stay at the beach

Our plan is now:

Three nights in Sydney

Via Blue mountains to Kiama

Via Goulburn, Jervis bay to Pebbly beach

Maybe Threbo, but maybe to much to drive in total

Two nights in Merimbula

Gippsland lakes coastal park

Two nights at Philip Island

Three nights in Melbourne

We would love to have some help!!

Thanks in advance!

Yvette

1. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 01:24
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

Reposted, ran out of time to edit.

Hi Yvette. Could I ask where you got this itinerary?

And could you confirm where the overnight stops are?

>>Via Blue mountains to Kiama<< If I am understanding correctly you mean to drive via the Blue Mountains and then stop in Kiama overnight?

>>Via Goulburn, Jervis bay to Pebbly beach<< And this would mean stopping overnight at Pebbly Beach?

I think that although the Blue Mountains can be done as a day trip in your situation it would be a good overnight stop.

I am not sure if there is much accommodation at Pebbly Beach apart from a campsite? There are better choices for accommodation, and for seeing kangaroos if that is what you wanted there.

Why the diversion to Goulburn?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

Blue Mountains to Kiama is a bit circuitous, but from Kiama via Goulburn to Pebbly Beach is just ridiculous.

There are some cabins at Pebbly Beach but the road in, last time I went, was not sealed, so using it may be against rental car agreements.

Murramarang may be a better alternative, if you just want to see kangaroos close up.

http://www.murramarangresort.com.au/

I suggest you get a good map and plot out what you want to see. As asked above, why Goulburn? The Big Merino is just not that exciting!

Bandar Seri...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

I just searched on the internet for best things to see.... In Goulburn I read it's nice to see all the sheep.

Dear Mc Knee, thanks for your reply!

My overnight stays are not yet decided, because I'm not sure if our route is the best. But yes we maybe wanted to stay at the places you wrote. What better places do you advice??

I really like to get some help with that.

We indeed like to see, kangaroos, beautiful beaches, koala's et cetera.

Dear Margo, Also thanks! I will have a look for the resort. :)

What kind of route would you suggest?

It's pretty difficult to decide what to do. Especially because it's our first visit to Australia.

Bandar Seri...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

I just looked again for our trip

How about this route?

Sydney, 3 nights (any suggestion for the night?)

Blue mountain, 1 night (any suggestion for the night?)

Kiama, 2 nights

Murramarang, 1 night

Merimbula, 1 night (any suggestion for the night?)

Gippsland lake, 1 night (any suggestion for the night?)

Philip Island, 2 nights

Melbourne, 3 nights (any suggestion for the night?)

We are travveling with three little kids. So I would love to stay where the kids will love it :-)

Is this route ok to take?

Thanks!!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

So where did you say you got this itinerary? Where are you getting the ideas, the place names? And what exactly is inspiring you? Why 2 nights in Kiama rather than 1, and 1 at Murramarang rather than 2, and no Jervis Bay now? I mean you could do any of these, for us to offer our opinions we need to understand what's going on from your point of view. For example you say "In Goulburn I read it's nice to see all the sheep". Goulburn has a sheep which is a big sculpture. If by "all the sheep" you simply mean live sheep in the paddocks, rural scenery, then you will have many opportunities to see that, you do not need to divert to Goulburn for that.

Bandar Seri...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

I searched on the internet and looked at the trips different companys offer. (One of them said, that Goulburn must be great to stay. But I don't really have an idea..)

Let's start with, that I really don't know where to go to....

It's the first time to plan the whole holiday before we go. Last year we did a camper tour in America without planning any overnight stay. That was ok but not relaxt.

Because of the three small children, I want to book all overnight stays. And don't have any stress while we are there. (It's difficult enough already :))

So what I'm searching for is a trip from Sydney to Melbourne, with a good balance in driving in let's say 6 days.

Second; I would love to stay at places where the kids have a great time (farmstay, beach etc.)

Third; I'm looking for a route that brings us to a few of the must sees in that area.

What would your suggestions be? Which place to visit, where to stay and which route to take? I didn't book anything yet.

Thanks a lot in advance

Bandar Seri...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

Just to be sure; this time we are hiring a car

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

Yvette, like others I think a detour to Goulburn may waste precious time. Why don't you start with this itinerary australia.com/explore/itineraries/nsw-sydney…

Merimbula is popular with families, but I recommend you look at Batemans Bay and Eden - smaller, but more picturesque in my view. You can then travel on, through some beautiful forests, to the Gippsland Lakes. Lakes Entrance is popular with families, and has a patrolled surf beach, but personally I find it too big and touristy - why not head down to Paynesville on the Gippsland Lakes (turn off at Bairnsdale)? From there, you can take a ferry over to Raymond Island ( free for passengers, but $10 a return trip with a car/caravan). It's something different for the kids. There's a marked koala walk from the ferry where you'd have to be very unlucky indeed not to see quite a few. Then take the route down to Philip Island via Yarram.

Bandar Seri...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip from Sydney to Melbourne with three small kids

Thanks for your advice and tips Jules!! Really helpfull. Now busy to sort everything out!