We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Brisbane to Melbourne drive

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP! Brisbane to Melbourne drive

My boyfriend and I are currently in Brisbane. We have little plans from this point but were ideally planning on renting a car and driving over two or three weeks from here to Melbourne (where we already have a flat and plan to stay for a while). Family we are staying with are trying to convince us that driving is silly as there is little to see between here and Sydney but that is the main reason I came to aus!! I want to see the Gold Coast, Byron bay, all the little gems that I hear are amazing here (extra suggestions of nice places to visit welcome!). We are on a pretty tight budget, I have a quote for a car at $850 for 3 weeks, how much would petrol cost on average for the whole drive? We plan to stay in hostels, and in Sydney and albury we have friends to stay with.

We wouldn't want to spend much more than $2000 for all food, drive, Accomodation. My boyfriend is just concerned we will run out of money (we have about $4000 total).

I know this is not a very specific question but I'm just looking for help in any and all ways on planning this trip. Is it realistic on our budget and time? Is it worth the drive? what are the great places worth stopping at? Help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Brisbane to Melbourne drive

Oops I should have said $4000 total each! But that has to last us a while (until we can find a job in Melbourne!)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Brisbane to Melbourne drive

Personally I don't know why you want to do it either ... but then I have done it a few times.

As to the petrol that's subjective, on what car you have, how many times you stop and where etc. If you were driving straight through in a standard modern car I would look at 3 tanks of petrol at around $1.60 per litre possibly. All the larger towns down the coast have YHA accommodation so you should be able to get something for less than $60 P/N. As to food it will cost what you want to spend ... there are Maccas and Fish'N'Chip shops everywhere so you could both eat for under $20 ... there will be supermarkets to pick up bread and what have you or you could eat at Bowls Clubs and RSLs.

At the right are "Brisbane to Sydney" drives etc ... check those out. I would highly recommend stopping at Bellingen just south of Coffs Harbour for lunch or overnight.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 00:49
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Brisbane to Melbourne drive

Hi Katie, personally the drive from Brisbane to Melbourne via the kind of coastal road is one of my favourites, some don't like it, but I also like road trips.

I say kind of coastal, if you want to see some of the gems along the way, you have to detour of the main highways, as most of the coastal towns are located a few kilometres of the highways.

To save a bit of money, maybe cut it back to 10 days, 5 days for each leg will be sufficient to see the sites, but 14+ would be better.

Accommodation, if your willing to stay in hostels, this would be the cheaper options, if you like cabins in caravan parks this is also a good option as many are located in prime spots, like Big 4, but this will cost you considerably more than hostels, probably between $120 to $150 per night, you could also buy a tent, that would be cheaper :o)

http://www.big4.com.au/

Hostels will save you a lot more money if that's your sort of thing, check their web sites like the one below -

http://www.hostels.com/australia

Petrol, working on 10 kilometres per litre, and considering you'll drive over 2000 kilometres, and fuel ranging at between $1.40 per litre to a $1.60, working on a $1.60 x 200+ litres you should budget around the $350 to $400 for fuel.

Have a read of the road trip links below, they'll give you a great idea on what to see and do -

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3069/Austral…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Also when are you looking at travelling, since you're in Brisbane now, I assume it's soon which is a great time.

If you do the drive, don't forget to detour to some of the lovely inland/rural towns, some gems there as well.

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 03 February 2014, 01:01
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Brisbane to Melbourne drive

Thanks for the answers guys this was very helpful! I don't think we are going to be doing too many stops from Sydney to Melbourne, would rather take our time and see more on the coast. Also I think we will be renting a Toyota yaris.

Those little gem towns you mentioned Robert... Could you name a couple? I will add them to the itinerary :) x

5. Re: HELP! Brisbane to Melbourne drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22