We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

4 posts
Save Topic
Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

Hi Everyone,

My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon and have worked with an travel agent to draft an itinerary. Neither of us have visited Australia so want to see as much as possible but as it's our honeymoon we want to be able to relax sometimes and not have to move every day. We arrive mid Oct for 5 weeks and would really appreciate any advice/tips/suggestions on this itinerary:

• Arrive Sydney, spend 4 nights and collect car

• Drive to Huskisson and spend 1 night

• Drive to Tilba Tilba and spend 1 night

• Drive to Gispy Point and spend 1 night

• Drive to Metung and spend 1 night

• Arrive Melbourne and spend 3 nights

• Drive to Apollo Bay and spend 1 night

• Drive to Port Fairy and spend 1 night

• Drive to Halls Gap and spend 1 night

• Drive to Penola and spend 1 night

• Drive to Midleton and spend 1 night

• Take Sealink to Kangaroo Island and spend 2 nights

• Take Sealink to Cape Jervis and spend 1 night is McLauren Vale

• Take Flight from Adelaide to Cairns

• Spend 3 nights in Cairns and collect car

• Drive to Townsville and spend 1 night

• Drive to Hamilton Island and spend 2 nights

• Drive to Mackay and spend 1 night

• Drive to Rockhampton and spend 1 night

• Drive to Hervey Bay and spend 2 nights

• Drive to Noosa and spend 1 night

• Drive to Brisbane and spend 1 night

• Depart Brisbane for flight home

It seems to me to be an awful lot of driving day to day and whilst I'd like to experience everything I don't want to be constantly on the road. Would love advice on where to cut short and where to spend longer amounts of time. We are adventurous and really want to experience all Australia has to offer.

Thank you!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

I agree - that's a lot of driving!

Personally, at that time of the year, I'd forget about driving from Sydney to Melbourne via the coast as it will probably still be too cold to swim.

I would also reconsider driving from Cairns to Brisbane. While places like Townesville, Mackay and Rocky are nice enough, they are really just big country towns. I think I would prefer to spend my honeymoon lazing around on a beach somewhere.

You have about a month.

Here's my 'alternative' suggestion:

Fly to Sydney and spend a week. During that time, explore some of the surrounding areas like the Blue Mountains or the Hunter Valley. Rent a car as you need one.

Fly to Melbourne and spend another week. Again, explore the region by car and visit places like the Great Ocean Road, Philip Island and the Yarra Valley.

Fly to Cairns and spend a week. Rent a car, visit the Great Barrier Reef, The Daintree, Atherton Tablelands and surrounds.

Then, for the last week choose one of these:

Fly to Adelaide and spend a week visiting the wine growing regions and Kangaroo Island

OR

Fly to Darwin and spend a week exploring Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks and perhaps even include a flight to Uluru to see the Red Centre.

There are some amazing places to see in Australia and a lot of boring black tarmac between them.

And congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

I agree with Eva, too much driving for a honeymoon, you want to be able to relax and enjoy yourselves. I like the above suggested itinerary, you could also look at Tasmania for a week or if you want to maximize beach time you could look at the Whitsundays or driving the coast between Sydney and Brisbane over a week, but don't do all the way from Cairns as its just too long.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,215 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

Another vote for not doing all that driving !!

Itinerary suggestion. - taking into consideration the weather. - 31 days ? I would do the Nth Qld after Sydney.

Sydney - hire a car as Eva has mentioned & go exploring - Northern Beaches in Sydney / Blue Mts / Jervis Bay. - 7 days.

Fly Sydney to Uluru - See a little of our outback - its stunning - stay 2 days.

Fly Uluru to Cairns - See Great Barrier Reef / Daintree NP / etc.. - stay Port Douglas - 6 days

Drive Cairns to the Whitsundays - stop Townsville - visit Magnetic Island - stay 2 days.

Drive to Airlie Beach - stay 3 days - return car to Whitsunday Airport. (Proserpine)

Fly Proserpine to Melbourne - stay 3 days

Drive Great Ocean Road - 4 days - Kangaroo Island - 3 days - Adelaide - 1/2 days

Happy planning !

Oz
Level Contributor
12,404 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

Hi,

FWIW I too believe that you have far too much driving planned and in the wrong direction.

I would suggest that at that time of the year you are much better served visiting the Red Centre (Uluru/Kata-Juta, The Alice, Kings Canyon) and the Tropical North of Oz.

My draft would look much like Ellemay's but I would drive from Sydney to Brisbane with a couple of coastal stops at Forster, South West Rocks and The Gold Coast after a Syd to Uluru flight.

I would also fly Brisane to Proserpine for the Whitsundays and the another flight from Proserpine to Cairns where I would rent a car and stay at Palm Cove.

Cheers,

Edmonton
Level Contributor
40 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

Have you considered flying to the cities you want to see to save some time? Its only about $100 each way then $40 for luggage (virgin aus). We just got back from our honeymoon in Aus and NZ actually, 3.5 weeks and we went to Syd, Cairns (Daintree, Cape Trib as well) and Melbourne! I just posted a trip report actually if you are interested on the tricks and tips we learned:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k71747…

We booked everything on our own, hotels and flights through expedia and the each activity through the company. I put in "we are coming for our honeymoon!" In every hotel booking and we got complimentary room upgrades for 5 out of 7 hotels and a bottle of champagne from one hotel that was fully booked :)

Congrats and good luck with the trip planning

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

Re $100 flights above post- I would easily say that you will have to pay more especially to Uluru from Sydney and also flights to Cairns. If you can keep an eye out for specials or happy hours for the airlines you can sometimes be lucky- but budget more than $100-140 pp one way.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

Well u cant a get a better recommendation that canadian gal who has just been to australia ..perhaps try to make contact with her.

Have been to nth qld many times From ADELAIDE STH AUSTRALIA and found that between june to sept was the best time of the year and is the peak travel season , its a very tropical area with high humidity which i personally dont like its saps out your energy. If u did choose to go there i would put it first on your itinerary some airlines even fly into cairns from o/seas,.

Next too much driving i think if u want to get between the towns then fly its so much quicker and not a s tiring Attached is an excellent web site on australia in general it may help you ??

http://www.australia.com/explore.aspx

The great ocean rd is so spectacular and kangaroo island is just amazing with it s wildlife and scenery its visite d by more overseas tourists than locals,.

gray

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

Thanks so much everyone for the advice and tips, we'd be happy to break it up and take internal flights to maximise time. Going to redraft our trip based on the advise.

Ellemay, thanks for the suggestions, I'll explore those options for sure.

CanadianGirl99, thanks too and we'll check out your report for more details. Love the tip on honeymoon upgrade 😉

9. Re: Draft Honeymoon Itinerary - Thoughts/Suggestions Please???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 06:20