We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip to Australia

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip to Australia

Hi

I am planning a short trip, upto 7 days to Australia in June/July time frame and have few questions :

1. Which airlines is best to book tickets ? Departure from Bangalore, India. Bangalore > Melbourne > Brisbane > Bangalore.

2. I am planning to visit Melbourne and Great Barrier Reef for tourist purpose. Any link for budget hotels ?

3. I would like to book package for scuba diving in Reef. Any references for the same ?

4. Any reference for trip planners who arrange tours of city ?

5. Tourist places around Melbourne and Great Barrier Reef.

I am completely clueless and dont know where to start from.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Ratnesh

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip to Australia

Hi Ratnesh

Not sure about flights from India to Melbourne but I think Qantas provides flights from there. The weather in Melbourne is June/July is really bad. Its cold and possible to have 4 weathers in one day. The great barrier reef is not in Brisbane, if you want to go to the great barrier reef, it is best to go to Cairns or Airlie Beach (both places are about 1 hr to 1 hr 30 mins from Brisbane by flight). The tours provide Great Barrier Reef tours from these places.

In terms of budget hotels, the only one I know is Ibis budget which is close to train station and the tram service and there are some backpackers hostels on the same road where Ibis is located.

In terms of scuba diving in the great barrier reef, I would recommend Quicksilver cruises as I did the tour through them when I was in Cairns. These cruises provide scuba diving as an option which will cost about $135-$150.

If you want to arrange some tours, try websites like godo.com and experienceoz.com

I would recommend doing the great ocean road in Melbourne which will take the whole day and you can spend some time exploring the city.

Hope this helps, Best of luck.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip to Australia

Do you want to scuba dive or snorkel?

I suggest visiting Brisbane and Cairns, the weather will be better and the flight between them is shorter which is better for your limited time.

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip to Australia

Thanks Banester1989 and Macknee. So, travel can be planned as India > Mel > Cairns > Mel > India.

How many days are enough for Reef and nearby attractions ? I am thinking for two days.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip to Australia

do you mean snorkel or scuba dive? do you already have your PADI dive certificate - if not you probably mean snorkel I think you will need more than 2 days on the reef.

Cairns is an international airport - why not check to see who has flights there - probably via Singapore or Bkk - better to fly directly there and then to melbourne and home from melbourne and save the additional back-tracking flight

but why melbourne? any particular reason - it has already been pointed out that the weather in Melbourne in June/July is not particularly nice.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 10:19
Bangalore...
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip to Australia

How about weather in April/May? There is a reason i have to visit Melbourne. Cannot tell on public forum.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip to Australia

Melbourne weather averages - pick your month accuweather.com/en/…26216

keep in mind that n-one can predict it exactly but these give you some idea

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip to Australia

Repeating again once more snorkel or scuba dive?

Bangalore...
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning trip to Australia

Snorkelling.

9. Re: Planning trip to Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 06:17