We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov. or Feb. Tasmania, Hamilton Island & Kangaroo Island

coral gables, fl
Level Contributor
48 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Nov. or Feb. Tasmania, Hamilton Island & Kangaroo Island

We want to go to Australia in the next year or so. We have narrowed down the areas we want to visit to Tasmania, Great Barrier Reef and Kangaroo Island. What is the best month to go to these diverse areas in Australia?

Thanks for any advice!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov. or Feb. Tasmania, Hamilton Island & Kangaroo Island

Hi

I would recommend visiting Tasmania and Kangaroo Island in Nov or Dec as the weather is pretty pleasant during those months. I wouldn't recommend visiting Kangaroo Island in Feb due to extreme heat during Jan and Feb.

The great barrier reef is best visited between August to September. November time is pretty average as well. I would avoid northern Queensland (Great Barrier Reef tours operate from here) and Northern Territory during Jan and Feb as it is cyclone season during those months.

Hope this helps. Safe travels :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,218 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov. or Feb. Tasmania, Hamilton Island & Kangaroo Island

Personally I think February is the best for tassieband kangaroo island. November can be quite cold, especially in tassieband

However given you want to put the reef in then definitely November.or late October It can be humid but generally it is calm and great weather. Someone will be bound to scream stingers but IMHO sunburn is your biggest enemy at any time of year.

I find august in the north is very windy and this will have more impact on the reef than the humidity. You will also be subject to strong winds down South

Avoid late September/ early October as this is a school holiday break so prices will be up and things much busier

Many people will suggest march but it is risky up north as it is the tail end of cyclone season, ditto for April. May can be lovely at both ends ( not overly warm in Tasmania

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov. or Feb. Tasmania, Hamilton Island & Kangaroo Island

It is VERY rare to EVER get extreme heat on KI!!!!

And yes October /November can be very chilly.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 22:05
Gold coast
Level Contributor
106 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov. or Feb. Tasmania, Hamilton Island & Kangaroo Island

Go for November, February sometimes will throw up a cyclone North Queensland area. If worried about stingers consider heron or lady Elliot Island, the lower section of Great Barrier Reef. No stingers to worry about. Both can snorkel straight off beach onto reef and protected by Island if wind conditions are not favourable. With heron fly into Brisbane, then fly to Gladstone, 55 minute flight. From there the resort will transfer you from airport to marina for a 2hr boat trip to Island.

5. Re: Nov. or Feb. Tasmania, Hamilton Island & Kangaroo Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:17