We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to sydney drive

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne to sydney drive

Hi ,

My husband and i , our three children aged 14/13 and 10 and my parents are visiting melbourne in dec , spending 5 nights there , then planning on taking 7 or so days to drive to the blue mountains for christmas for three days before heading into sydney.

Based on all the advice i have read on trip advisor i have planned my route and stop overs as follows : staying at each place for one night

Lakes entrance

Merimbula -

Batemans bay -

Canberra

Ulladulla

Then Kiama

Then onto the Blue mountains on christmas eve.

Does this sound feasible please ? Do you think i will get to take in the major sights along the way , with enough variety etc ?

Many many thanks for any suggestions.

V

Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)
Geologic Formations, Mountains
Cradle Mountain
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Mountains, Forests, Waterfalls
Dandenong Ranges
Mountains, National Parks
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

Leaving the coast to drive to Canberra, then return coast next day is not worthwhile. I would allow 2 or 3 nights for Canberra then continue direct to Blue Mts. Or skip Canberra entirely. Plenty to do there. No need for extra night any other stop.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 14:07
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

Canberra is definitely the odd one out in that list, and agree that a one day diversion from the coast to Canberra is probably not worth it.

You could consider a loop in from Batemans Bay, and then back up the Hume, over the Macquarie Pass, down through into Kiama. See a bit of the southern highlands, and still get to do the Grand Pacific Drive up the coast to Sydney. I'd do two nights in Canberra at that rate, and then head out early. But when you get to the turn over the pass over the Hume, you'll only be 30 minutes from the M7 that will get you to the mountains in two hours, so you'll have to really want to see that part of the coast.

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

Thank you so much for your helpful comments , i realise going into canberra would mean i have to go back on myself driving wise , but thought canberra was worth a visit as was ulladulla and kiama. Which then please would you not bother with ? Do you think my first stop ivers our good ones ? Really appreciate the help. Keen to get this trip right with an age range of 10 to 75 and a very big deal for us all !

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

Canberra is a bush capital. Go there is you want to see the national monuments, parliament house, national galleries, war memorial. Around the capital there is bushland, Black Mountain, Tidbinbilla (wildlife, platypus, koalas and Kangaroos to be spotted). There are even Kangaroos to be seen close to the city itself.

All worthwhile destinations - but if you are going to turn up there at 3pm in the afternoon, and leave again at 10 in the morning, then you aren't going to get anything out of it. Plan to spend at least a full day, or don't bother.

The highway section between Melbourne and the NSW Border, only really touches the water at Lakes Entrance. You can explore around the lakes and other towns here, it is a popular tourist spot, but I'd have to say there is not much else on this section that I'd rave about. Mallacoota is nice, but again you are taking a serious diversion off the road.

Once you cross the border, you are hitting the best section, IMO. Eden up to Batemans, where the road is touching the coast, and a couple of sections even following it - and diverting to the coast is easy. Beaches, parks, pretty towns. Nice.

The question is at Batemans do you want to mix it up a bit, or do you want to continue on with the coastal towns?

I'm always in favour of mixing it up. I'd get my fill of the coastal towns on the way up to Batemans. Ulladulla isn't so different from the other coastal towns, and it isn't the nicest of them.

The Grand Pacific Drive is nice, but I don't think it is worth the drive back to the coast after so much coastal driving.

So, if I were you, I'd go into Canberra for two nights at Batemans, then maybe avoid the freeway a bit, and see some of the Southern Highlands towns, like Bundanoon. See the gorges at Tallong, and maybe even Fitzroy Falls.

There is some sameness in the Southern Highlands and the Blue Mountains, though. And the Macquarie Pass and the Grand Pacific Drive is nice too. I don't think you can go too far wrong if you make that choice, but I think the route with the less driving and more sightseeing would be the choice for me.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,584 posts
1,607 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

Hi,

At this time of the year you are planning to visit with kids I would just head along the coast as the beaches are gorgeous & I'm sure the kids would enjoy the beaches than Canberra.

I love Canberra & The Southern Highlands but IMO they are best seen in winter. However; if you do decide to go there are numerous routes which are very pretty to drive through from the coast.

http://www.southern-highlands.com.au/drives

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

So helpful thank you . I like the sound of Canberra , and will be doing beaches in Sydney ofcourse after the Blue Mountains.

Would a better itinery be Lakes entrance two nights , batemans bay two nights , then canberra two nights then the blue mountains ? or would we then be missing out sth brilliant on that caost line?

many thanks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

>>All worthwhile destinations - but if you are going to turn up there at 3pm in the afternoon, and leave again at 10 in the morning, then you aren't going to get anything out of it. Plan to spend at least a full day, or don't bother.<<

I agree.

I would space things out so that you have a whole day here and there to enjoy that particular place.

What exactly made you decide on those places? What do you want time to see?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

Kiama is only a day-trip from Sydney. On the train or by car, if that is an option for you later.

I'd spread your time more between Lakes Entrance and Batemans Bay. At least a night in Eden/Meribula/Tathra. Consider Narooma.

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

Thank you again. I made my choices based on reading other suggested routes and trying to fit in as much as possible ! I seem to have given us too much to do / been too ambitious .

We will be in melbounre for 5 nights at the beginning and in Sydney at the end for 6 nights so day trips are options as well . Thank you for any suggestions .

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne to sydney drive

Not exactly too ambitious. In 7 days you could make those 7 stops, but what would you have time for AT those places. What DO you want time to see?