We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuranda Railway tour?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Kuranda Railway tour?

Hi all, I am trying to decide which tour is best for us, but having a hard time figuring it out. Has anyone ever done one of the tours on the Kuranda railway? Which one would you recommend? I'd like to visit the rainforest, see the wildlife/kuddle a koala, and I like the idea of a hot air balloon ride. It looks like all of this may be included in the Kuranda Ultimate Experience tour, but I wasn't sure?. Has anyone done this one?

Hot air balloon tours I've seen other places run about $290 on their own, so if we could do all of this for $300 that would be awesome. Especially because I think we will be able to see and hold koalas, kangaroos, etc at the Featherdale Wildlife Park in Sydney, but I really want to see the rainforest, so if this isn't included in that I may rather do the rainforest tour.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Blue Dive Port Douglas
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Escape Discovery Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
The Little Penguin Bus
Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,522 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuranda Railway tour?

Can you provide a link to the particular tour you are thinking of? Lots of companies advertise an 'Ultimate Kuranda Experience", but I haven't seen any that include a hot air balloon ride.

Just to let you know that you CANNOT cuddle a koala at Featherdale Wildlife Park as "koala cuddling" is not allowed in the state of New South Wales. You are allowed to pat the koala and have your picture taken with it at Featherdale, but you may not hug or hold the koala. Holding koalas is allowed in Queensland., so If you want to hold a koala, then check out the places where they do it around Cairns: cairnsattractions.com.au/a_cairns-where-to-c…

Edited: 10 February 2014, 05:31
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuranda Railway tour?

Have a think about going to Kuranda via Skyrail (a gondola) from Caravonica, a suburb of Cairns and then returning from Kuranda to Cairns via the train. Or vice versa. Done it both ways several times myself and can recommend it.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuranda Railway tour?

Good to know about the koalas, thanks! Here is a link to the tour: ksr.com.au/TourOptions/Pages/KurandaUltimate…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,522 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuranda Railway tour?

You might want to take a look at the Hot Air Balloons website: http://www.hotair.com.au/cairns/tours/ They have a fuller description of this tour than does the Kuranda Scenic Railway site. The tour on the Hot Air Balloons website is called "Ballooning, Kuranda Village and Kuranda Scenic Railroad". It's the same price, so I think that it's probably the same tour--just one is advertised by the balloon provider and one is advertised by the railway provider. You can also see that Hot Air Balloons offers another Kuranda/Balloon combo which includes both the Skyrail and the train. (The tour you are considering does NOT include a trip on the Skyrail, if that matters to you.)

The Kuranda Scenic Railway website makes it clear that the balloon flight is 30 minutes long. However, the Hot Air Balloons website makes it look as if the ride for this tour is longer than 30 minutes. You should probably get this clarified if you intend to book with them. Also, you'll want to find out from both companies what transfers are included. (The Hot Air website states you have to get yourself back to your hotel after the train ride; the Kuranda Scenic Railway isn't clear if they pick you up in the morning.)

Although I have taken a hot air balloon ride in Australia, it was not in Cairns with Hot Air, so I can't comment on their company. But I can say hot air ballooning is a great experience!

5. Re: Kuranda Railway tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:17