We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested 2 week itineray for Australia in August

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested 2 week itineray for Australia in August

My husband and I (mid 50's) will be travelling to Sydney in August to visit our daughter, and will be spending about a week with her. We will have another 2 weeks in Auz. We will want to visit Cairns and area, but I would like input on whether to concentrate our time in that area, and drive from Sydney, or should we fly to Cairns to allow ourselves more time to see another area of the country. And if so, what areas are recommended? Another option is to only spend two weeks in Auz, and have one week in New Zealand while we are in the neighbourhood. (We're from Vancouver Canada)

Oz
Level Contributor
11,892 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested 2 week itineray for Australia in August

Hi,

At that time of the year you should visit Cairns, Uluru/Kata Juta, Alice Springs, Darwin and Broome. However as you have so little time and already have decided to visit Cairns I would suggest you limit yourselves to:

One week in Sydney as planned.

One week Uluru/ Kata-Juta, Alice Springs, King's Canyon.

One week in Cairns/Port Douglas/Palm Cove.

Cheers,

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,966 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested 2 week itineray for Australia in August

If it were me (and it has been "me" since I've spent 3 weeks in Australia in August), I would choose one of the following for your remaining 2 weeks

1. One full week in Cairns/Port Douglas and one full week in Darwin and the Top End (Kakadu, Katherine)

2. Five days in Cairns/Port Douglas, 6 days in Darwin/Top End and 3 days Uluru

I would not choose to drive the 2400 km between Sydney and Cairns as I'd rather spend those 3 - 4 days of driving sightseeing in one of the above listed places. Nor would I choose to go to New Zealand in August unless I planned to ski. Most of New Zealand is located south of Sydney, so it's a colder, wetter place to be in August.

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested 2 week itineray for Australia in August

Thanks for the suggestions! Good thought about the weather in NZ - I didn't think about that. Living in Vancouver I get my fill of rain.

I like your 2nd suggestion, fitting in time at Uluru. Any thoughts on also stopping at Brisbane/Gold Coast area?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested 2 week itineray for Australia in August

I agree with Longhorns option 2. You'll get an insight into 3 very different environments each of which is spectacular in its own way and unique.

Forget driving.

You can fly quite cheaply if you book well in advance and then hire a car at each location so that you can fully explore each area.

5. Re: Suggested 2 week itineray for Australia in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 06:15