We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand in February 2015. We will be starting our holiday with a cruise from Auckland through New Zealand and Australia which ends in Perth 17 days later. I have actually booked back to back cruises (total of 34 days) which would then leave Perth and travel North and end in Sydney which would then allow us to travel right around the entire country. I am now thinking that we should maybe get off in Perth and travel by land. We could be away anywhere up to 8 weeks or perhaps even a bit longer but of course budget would be one of the hold backs. There are so many things to see and do but unfortunately you just can't do them all in a country that large. Some of my wishes would be:

1. Spend a few days in Auckland prior to departing on the cruise to explore the city and to rest after flying from eastern Canada - could take up to 24 hours.

2. After arriving in Perth and if we decide to travel by land I would like to try and visit the following:

-Ocean Road

-Kangaroo Island

-Alice Springs and Darwin (not sure of this since we have been to the Grand Canyon)

-Spending a few days in Sydney

-Spending perhaps up to 2 weeks in the Great Barrier Reef area.

I was wondering if it would be worth taking the train up the coast from Sydney to Cairns, driving or flying. The other issue would be where we would depart from to return home.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments that anyone may have in regards to this. Depending on feedback and what should not be missed we are certainly willing to change what we are thinking.

Thank you so much

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

I would drop the northern Australia cruise, as the ports they visit really aren't the places you can only spend a day in and are best seen by land.

From Perth you could spend a few days exploring that region, maybe drive to the Margaret River region, then back to Perth and fly to Adelaide and Kangaroo island. Maybe 2 days Adelaide & 3 days KI.

Then you could fly up to Alice Springs and spend up to a week in this area, depending on what you want to see and do. Don't let going to a canyon in another country discourage you, it's nothing like here. The US desert and the Australian desert are very different, as is the culture and landscape you will experience. You can hire car and self drive to Kings Canyon, Stanley Chasm, Simpsons Gap over a couple of days, then head down to Uluru for a couple of nights.

Then perhaps you can head up to Darwin from here for a week and do Kakadu, Lichfield etc, then over to Cairns for the GBR. Then back down to Sydney and Maybe Melbourne if you have the time.

I would avoid rail travel at all cost in Australia unless you are doing one of the specific high end trips like the Ghan or Indian Pacific, it's a slow torturous experience otherwise with no benefit and there really isn't nice views to take in. Fly between cities and either utilize public transport or hire a car while there.

Just take note that our Summer is actually the wet season in the North of our Country, so Darwin and Cairns will be experiencing tropical monsoons with lots of rain and chances of cyclones (hurricanes). It's kind of like visiting Florida in June. It can still be amazing and won't rain all day everyday and will still be hot weather, but you will need to be flexible with plans so you can work around the weather.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

>>After arriving in Perth and if we decide to travel by land I would like to try and visit the following: _ -Ocean Road _ -Kangaroo Island _ -Alice Springs and Darwin (not sure of this since we have been to the Grand Canyon)<<

You could research something like this

take the train across the Nullabor (I agree with LOstris about train travel in Australia, but the Indian Pacific is one of *the* train trips, if the idea of crossing the continent by land appeals to you sufficiently to take the time)

get off in Adelaide

visit Kangaroo Island

drive via the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne (note the GOR is not the entire route, that's not to say there's nothing to see, just mentioning it to avoid confusion, we get some posters intending to 'drive the GOR' all the way to Adelaide with no actual desire to go to Adelaide, so for clarity's sake it's good to keep in mind the GOR is nearer Melbourne.)

I think perhaps when you say Alice Springs you are thinking of Uluru, which is 6½ hours drive away. You can of course do both, with so much time I would. But I'd say it's more typical to visit Uluru and not Alice Springs rather than vice versa.

I'm not sure what to say in response to your comment about Grand Canyon, as I haven't been to either. Is 'been there done that' a big factor for you? I mean I've been to New Zealand but I would still love to go to Canada, Switzerland, etc, I don't feel like I've been to a destination with amazing mountain scenery and so I've ticked that box and I don't need to see any more mountains. But you might be different regarding scenery. I've read comments saying they are nothing alike, and certainly the cultural aspect is completely different, but I imagine there would be some people who would consider them alike *enough* and have some regrets at the distance and expense involved when something else might have suited that individual better. Have you done much research about the Outback? I don't believe in anything ever being an absolute 'must do' but I wouldn't rule out visiting the Outback without doing some research, read the Trip Reports here, google for images, get an understanding of what it is beyond the basic description of desert scenery.

With so much time you could visit the capital. Let us know what sorts of things interest you and I can tell you more about what might might suit.

Edited: 05 March 2014, 01:02
Oz
Level Contributor
12,921 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

Hi,

Great advice from the others IMHO.

With regards to NZ I would also suggest that time in Auckland is wasted. If you are stuck with the North Island you would be much better served by visiting Rotoura and The Bay of Islands if time allows. Even better would be to Fly from Auckland to Queenstown and use Queenstown as a base before returning to Auckland.

By the time you have completed your trip you will know what a JAFA is :-)

Cheers,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

As a sth aussie i agree with the above comments . Fly to Adelaide do a trip to Kangaroo island which u will remember for ever its beautiful.U can either hire a car and drive via mt gambier in sa to warrnambool where the great ocean rd starts just after . Or the GOR can be done as a day trip from Melb.Th e weather in Uluru ( ayers rock) Would be very hot possibly in mid 40s 113f and in Darwin middle of the wet season as it would be in Cairns if u like humidity then fine .Also in Darwin a lot of the touristy place s dont open or very restricted hours due to roads being flooded for months..

U may find info on the attached site helpful..

http://www.australia.com/explore.aspx

Other s may have other ideas but that's what this forum is about..

Gray

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
1,572 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

I also agree with doing your 2nd leg on land rather than another cruise. You do have numerous options available to you regarding what route you wish to take.

Do take into consideration that its the wet / stinger / Cyclone season in NT & Nth Queensland in February.. when planning your itinerary. www.marinestingers.com.au

Itinerary suggestions to consider depending on your time ?

Perth - 4 days - hire a car drive down to the Margaret River Region or fly Perth to Esperance -hire a car & go exploring - ( magical beaches). - 4 days.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18830-Trip_…

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23867-Trip_…

Fly Perth to Adelaide or you have the option of catching the Indian Pacific train.

greatsouthernrail.com.au/site/indian_pacific…

Adelaide - 2 days - Kangaroo Island - 4 days.

Drive the Great Ocean Road from KI to Melbourne. - 4 days

Melbourne - 4 days

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i27340-Trip_…

Drive Melbourne to Sydney via the coast - 5 days ( depending on your time. )

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255055-c3069/Aust…

Sydney - 5 days

If you want to put the Great Barrier Reef into your itinerary you could consider looking at Lady Elliott Island.

www.ladyelliottisland.com.au

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and comments so far. I do appreciate it very much. They are great to have and use in planning. Keep them coming to others who may want to respond.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

Hi. Your appreciation is appreciated but what really works is more info and feedback, then we know if we're on the right track, if it's worthwhile spending time providing more info on this or more details on that or some more suggestions similar to whatever. Let us know what has piqued your interest and what sorts of things you enjoy when holidaying, or even have a go at putting together a daily draft itinerary, and I'm sure that will encourage more replies.

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

Hi Everyone,

After reading your comments this is the way I am leaning but of course there is always time to change things since our trip is not until next year. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Someone was asking what our interests were and really we just love to travel and see new places, meet the people and take in beautiful scenery. We always like to include some day tours or tour on our own.

We are going to cancel the 2nd cruise going to the North. Unfortunately (or not) our cruise ends in Perth and so we have to get back to the east side of the country.

Time Frames

Either fly directly from Eastern Canada to Auckland for our cruise starting February 8th and ending in Perth February 25th. We would spend a few days prior to the cruise seeing the North Island. Our cruise will be taking us to the South Island.

Another option depending on flight expenses is to fly to Sydney 3rd week of January and exploring from Sydney to Adelaide by car prior to going to Auckland.

February 25th - Docking In Perth and exploring area for 4-5 days

Fly to Adelaide (if we have not done this part) around March 1st

Rent vehicle and start driving along coastline right to Cairns and take approximately 4 weeks to do this.

Arriving in Cairns towards the end of March so that perhaps we would be towards the end of the hot and rainy season. Spending time in that area (a week) and then flying to Ayers Rock from Cairns for about 4 days, then back to Sydney to fly home to Canada. Since we are retired and because our winters are so long and hard we are in no rush to return home to winter but costs will play a part in how long we are actually able to stay.

During our stay we plan to visit and do tours or activities in the following places:

Most major cities in Australia and their main tourist attractions

Kangaroo Island

Great Ocean Road

Blue Mountains

Great Barrier Reef Area

Ayers Rock Area

Thank you once again for any suggestions

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

HI. I was just checking my emails and found the notification for this thread. I'm not sure I have much to add at this stage but I'll bump it up in case anyone else does. And be aware that driving between Melbourne and Sydney you can divert inland to include the high country and the capital. Oh, and I note you are now referring to the Ayers Rock area although I called it Uluru in my post, just wondering is that from a brochure or a travel agent maybe?

10. Re: Trip to Australia and New Zealand 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:49