We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination suggestions

Aberdeen...
Level Contributor
60 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Destination suggestions

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of wonderful things to do in Australia. We are planning a trip in 2015 and I see suggestions that October may be one of the better times of the year to visit. Since we will be limited to 2-3 weeks for our trip, I've heard staying on the East Coast might be a better choice. Of course we'll start in Sydney and am curious what we should include as other suggested cities? We are interested in a variety of things, outdoors, snorkeling, history, culture, good local food and of course local wine and beer. Appreciate any input you have to offer. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination suggestions

Hi

Your starting point will be reading the FAQ's and narrowing down where and what suits you best. The timeframe you've given (3 weeks) is sufficient to cover part you wish to visit on the east coast, and include Uluru. So it could look like; Sydney, Melbourne, Uluru, Cairns/GBR.

And that would comfortably factor in travel time between destinations, and various side trips at the destination, such as Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, Great Ocean Road, Mornington Peninsula and so forth.

So there's a brief start.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination suggestions

In two weeks, you can comfortably do the standard trio Bridge - Reef - Rock (Sydney, Great Barrier Reef, Uluru). With an extra week, you could add another destination.

You have a wide choice as you say and you need to decide what else you want to see, be it Kakadu National Park in the Top End, another city like Melbourne, Tasmania, wildlife at Kangaroo Island, another beach destination such as Byron Bay, the beaches and theme parks if the Gold Coast etc. But you need to start with your own interests and of course consider your budget. If you want to do a road trip, that will limit the number if places you can visit. You could base yourself in a few central locations and rent a car to explore the surrounding areas. What style of holiday do you enjoy? 5* or under the stars?

Give us more information, read the trip reports and Top Questions and we can help further.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,374 posts
1,539 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination suggestions

Hi,

As mentioned the usual route is Sydney / Uluru / Cairns for a 14 day trip.

If longer you could consider putting in Darwin to see Kakadu & Litchfield National Parks.

Sydney / Uluru / Darwin / Cairns / Sydney.

or

Sydney / Uluru / Cairns / Melbourne

At my desk
Level Contributor
286 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination suggestions

I'd strongly advise you spend as little time as possible in Australian cities. Not that Australian cities are bad, it's just that they are cities and you have stunning Edinburgh and uber cool Glasgow on your doorstep.

The Reef and Cape Trib (ex Cairns) are great, and I love the top end (esp Kakadu, Litchfield. If you are interested in Aboriginal culture and art Kakadu is great). The centre (Uluru, Kata Tjuta) is also great.

Sydney has some very pretty parts, but I'd advise you not to spend too much of your very limited time there.

Brisbane, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination suggestions

October is a great time to come, not too hot not too cold. Especially being from Scotland you might not enjoy the summer temps which can get fairly warm. From Sydney you can easily access places like the Hunter Valley and Central Coast which are great for getting outdoors. The Hunter region is home to some of the best vineyards and wineries so I would definitely stop off there as you say you enjoy your wine! I recently stayed at Crowne Plaza in Hunter Valley and they host some wine tasting evenings with different wineries, it was great to be able to do that from the comfort of the hotel! crowneplazahuntervalley.com.au/hunter-valley… If you wanted to you could then fly down to Melbourne and also do the Great Ocean Road visitmelbourne.com/Regions/Great-Ocean-Road.… which is a very popular trip for travellers. Or the other option I would suggest would be to fly to Cairns and do the Great Barrier Reef. We went there last year it was amazing. We went on a heli tour of the reef - fairly pricey but it was worth it http://www.gbrhelicopters.com.au/. You can also catch the ferry out to the reef for the day. We stayed in Palm Cove which was a little out of Cairns so it was nice and chilled out.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,251 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination suggestions

If you have 2 weeks,

6 days Sydney and day trips to Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley.

3 days Uluru and Kings Canyon

5 days Cairns, GBR

If you have 3 weeks,

6 days Sydney

5 days Uluru, Kings Canyon and Alice Springs

5 days Kakadu and Litchfield National Park

5 days Cairns, GBR

Edited: 13 March 2014, 10:11
Aberdeen...
Level Contributor
60 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination suggestions

Thanks all very much. Have incorporated most of the above into travel plans.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination suggestions

Im always amazed that visitors from overseas want to go to see beaches and go into the middle of the desert to see a great big rock! you say you like culture, so how about visiting some rural towns and visiting some aussie pubs and meeting some local characters. How about a farm visit and see some sheep shearing and billy tea and damper mate? Spend 2 days in Sydney and head up to the blue mountains and keep driving up over the hills and far away, then head back via the hunter valley. Perhaps you may enjoy Bathurst, Cowra= some war history there, Dubbo, and Gulgong near Mudgee in the Hunter Valley. We do have regional airlines and airports also.

Yes October is lovely ( like this weekend here now) but maybe 29* celsius is a little too warm. This month would be far too warm for you if you wanted to go north to cairns- you will melt- the humidity is stifling after 9 am- so if you want to go north I would suggest august to early september at the latest.

there is so much more to us than beaches!

9. Re: Destination suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2015, 06:15