We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We want to see snow

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
We want to see snow

Ever since being to Canada, we love the snow, and would like to spend a few days somewhere not too far away from Brisbane, and where we can stay and it will be in the snow, but also where my 16 son can do some skiing / snowboarding lessons (he's never tried either). The Aussie fields seem a long way from where we would fly to (ie Canberra / Melb / Sydney), and from what ive seen you can't stay at the snow in Queenstown. I have thought of Tassie in 2nd week of July, but now sure how far from landing point (would fly in), to snow, and if there is accommodation at snow, or how to get from Hobart etc to snow.

Any ideas would be GREAT. Ta

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We want to see snow

You can stay 'at the snow' at Cardona Alpine Resort near Queenstown/Wanaka:

http://www.cardrona.com/getting-here

Edited: 15 March 2014, 02:49
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We want to see snow

More info on NZ resorts with on-mountain accommodation:

----------------------------

Cardrona ski resort has on-mountain accommodation within 15 apartments of varying configurations, only a one minute walk from the lifts. Considering that convenient on-mountain accommodation is such a rarity in NZ, these units get booked out very early in the season.

Coronet Peak ski resort has limited on-mountain accommodation in the small Otago Ski Club. The dormitory style accommodation is not ski-in ski-out but rather a few minutes walk to the lifts.

At Porters ski field there is the club-run Alpine Lodge situated half-way down the access road, so it’s definitely not ski-in ski-out.

At Whakapapa on the North Island, there is a little bit of accommodation at the base of the ski area in a couple of hotels, a holiday park and within private lodges.

he NZ club ski fields have on-mountain accommodation, but commonly it’s not purely ski-in ski-out. For example at Craigieburn and Broken River the lodges are ski-in in certain conditions, but not ski-out. The lodge at Mt Olympus is an example of ski in ski out accommodation. The club field lodges are very basic and ski fields are generally only suited to adventurous and experienced skiers and boarders. Mt Cheeseman also has ski-in ski-out accommodation, and is well suited to families and those learning to ski or snowboard.

-----------------------

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We want to see snow

Thanks so much, great feedback, I had a look at the site, have emailed re when the season starts. Thanks again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We want to see snow

Thanks, great info. My husband and I won't be skiing, but I want to be as near the snow as possible to just 'be in it'. Looks like a great option.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,404 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We want to see snow

Hi,

I second the idea of a flight to Queenstown and either stay there or at Wanaka or indeed at Cardrona if you can get in.

First a word of warning as to on snow accommodation. It's sort of like being on a cruise ship if all goes well it's can be good but it's al that there is, however if something goes wrong, like the weather, there's no escape and no alternative.

In New Zealands South Island:

1. The snow conditions are much more likely to be good to excellent compared to Australia.

2. The lift lines if any are much shorter than Australia.

3. The variety of runs are generally much more varied than Australia. Treble Cone stacks up against anywhere in the world IMHO.

4. The runs are much less crowded than Australia.

5. There aren't any trees to dodge on the NZ ski fields as you ski above the tree line.

6. The cost of ski hire, lift tickets, accommodation etc is much cheaper than Australia.

7. The apres ski activities in Queenstown are mind boggling as are the variety of other things to do on a lay day compared to Australia.

8. The apres ski activities and lay day activities in Wanaka are vastly superior to those available in Australia.

9. The twenty to fourty minute trip to the ski fields Coronet Peak (20 mins), The Remarkables (40min) from Queenstown and Cardrona (25mins), Treble Cone (35mins) from Wanaka is half the fun and an experience on its' own.

10. You can heli ski in New Zealand.

11. You can be lucky and score "real" powder days in NZ.

Cheers,

6. Re: We want to see snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 04:24