We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

Hi, me and my partner are traveling to Australia on a years working visa, initially to Perth region to work for 4-6months then plan on buying and driving a minivan from West to East doing our 88 days regional work along the way, to enable us to apply for a second year visa. We are going to Australia at end of may so are looking to start our road trip November/December time. What route would be our best option for continuous work at that time of year either on orchards or farms along the way if anyone has done this?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

You do know there is a rather large desert in the middle of Australia,between West and East?

No farms, no orchards. No trees even...hence the name " Nullarbor".

South West corner of WA a large number of wait and bar staff are backpackers/ 12 month visa types. I'd ensure you have that sort of experience rather than looking for farm work. The grapes are not ready to be picked and I can't really think of much else down that way by way of fruit.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

It's the beginning of the apple, cherry and stone fruit picking season in Tasmania at that time of year.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,513 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

you may find work from early January in the Riverina NSW (grapes etc) these jobs are generally advertised on www.seek.com.au from early September

And December will see the annual influx of school leavers and uni holiday kids wanting work - plan ahead and get your applications sorted ahead of time.

you should also check out www.travellerspoint.com

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

I was looking at mainly traveling along the south coast, has anyone had any experience with WWOOF-ing traveling from west to east and how easy this is to come across to add to the regional work?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

As Perthite has already mentioned "along the south coast" of Australia is a desert with a vertical cliff into the Southern Ocean. It would be a better plan to relocate to a place that has fruit in season that requires picking.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

nothing is set in concrete yet so just in the process of weighing up our options. Me and my partner both have more experience in outdoor and farm work than wait/bar staff, she is a veterinary nurse and I engage young people in outdoor activities and grounds work as a job, so we would look for more manual work and work with animals on farms and ranches than anything else. We have no time restraints for travel, so are just seeing if other people have had experience in this, or attempting what we plan?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

Pretty much from when you leave Perth until you hit Adelaide you will find it difficult to find work due to the lack of towns and farms. As has been mentioned a few times, its a huge desert.

Once you hit Adelaide though there are lots of farm areas in the regional areas surrounding the city, and all the way into Victoria and to Melbourne. It's the start of the apple, stone fruit and berry season too so there will probably be lots of fruit picking jobs.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

As people have suggested - look at a map first so you have a rough idea of the region you are suggesting you want to travel across and work in.

Re wwoofing - you are more likely to find gap year and WHV travellers who have done this style of live/work on the travellerspoint forums - not here.

9. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 11:18
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 88 day regional work travelling across country Summertime

Love your blog. Glad you survived and I hope you enjoy the rest of your time here.