We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

McLaren Vale...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

Just after some more ideas of things I may have missed or not heard of, things for during the 24hour flight and during my holiday that might make life easier :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

Take a European plug convertor and a power board, you will be able to charge and use multiple items. If you plan on doing any clothes washing take a bit of detergent with you from home, it's almost impossible to buy a small amount. Make sure you have cash for smaller purchases ... under $100 ... many European shops and restaurants will refuse cards and not change large notes, even fifties. Speaking of cash, don't walk around in a daze with your bag just hanging loose, keep your hands on your money especially on the metro or in crowds. Read up on the scams on the Rome, Paris etc boards so you understand what's happening when it happens ... and most of all, ENJOY.

And don't expect to find public toilets easily

Edited: 27 March 2014, 11:48
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

Where in Europe? If you are more specific, you will receive more targeted advice.

In general:

99.9% of public toilets are paid. Yes, even at petrol stations.

Take clothes that is easy to wash by hand in the hotel bathroom sink, quick to dry and do not have to be ironed. Laundromats are few and far between and hotels charge through the roof for laundering and dry cleaning.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 12:17
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

My personal travel board choice is this one - takes USBs as well & the cord rolls up into the unit tidily.

http://www.ji.com.au/products/PT2USB/

Public toilets - easy - download the iphone ap titled PublicToilets by medailemon products - has a word wide maps and loo locator.

Take layers for the flight and enough of your own entertainment on your phone/tablet/laptop in case the IFE is woeful.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

A small quick dry towel - after you've hand washed clothes, roll them up one at a time in the towel and squeeze or stand on it to get excess moisture out. Makes drying heaps easier.

Always keep 1€, 2€, and 0.50€ coins on you for toilets, most are paid. Also keep a small roll of toilet paper in your day bag as I came across many that had none.

I use a neck or hip wallet worn under clothes, I've had people try to pick pocket me in Paris and Rome (that I knew of anyway) and they got nothing because of this.

Wear your camera around your neck or on a cross body strap for the same reason.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

where and when are you going? ... europe is a big place

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,920 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

Two most commonly forgotten items:

1. Sense of humour; 2. Patience

Edited: 27 March 2014, 20:45
McLaren Vale...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

Thanks for all of these great ideas, very helpful :) i will definitely use these.

We are going to England, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Tuscany, Croatia etc.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

If you are prone to colds and fluey things a Packet of cold and flu tablets as some countries dont sell the same strength we do.

ear plugs for when you are seated next to a snorer on the plane... OMG

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,920 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

If you already haven't got a local SIM card, be sure to have your phone unlocked before you depart.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Essential travel accessories for 5 weeks in Europe

+1 ear plugs. Take an eye mask too in case your neighbour on the plane decides to read all night.