Hi all, I'm in the process of planning a holiday trip to Aussie to coincide with a friend's wedding in Sydney on 16th Aug. I can probably afford to spend about 7-10 days in all for the trip. I've done a bit of reading up, but Aussie's a big country with lots of choices! So, help for narrowing down to viable options that would be good to combine with Sydney would be very much appreciated.
1) Museums and learning more about the history and culture
2) Catching stage performances, musicals and such
3) Foooooood! Eating and browsing markets
4) Australian wildlife... I really loved visiting the Gorge Wildlife Park in Adelaide, is there a similar one in Sydney? Would Taronga or Featherdale be more similar? I'd love to hold a koala again, and preferably not for an extra fee.
5) Amateur photography, views and vistas
I might consider flying open-jaw if prices are ok. Also, we're trying to keep to a budget for the trip... so unfortunately we can't be flying around everywhere.
Things to note:
1) NO MELBOURNE OR ADELAIDE, PLEASE: For part of the time I might be travelling with 1-2 friends, one of them has already been to Melbourne and Brisbane and would prefer to visit new destinations. I've also seen more or less what I can possibly visit of Melbourne and Adelaide, so I'd also prefer not to go again.
2) NO DRIVING: None of us can drive.
3) NO DIVING: I'd love to see the Great Barrier Reef, but it'll have to be snorkelling if we go, as none of us can dive.
4) NOTHING TOO STRENUOUS: I know we're not old, but I'm not in great physical shape by any shot!
5) NO RAINFOREST STUFF: All 3 of us are originally from Singapore!
6) NO WINTER SPORTS: I don't know about them, but I can't ski or anything like that, and (buying and) bringing extra winter sports gear might be too much for our luggage weight.
Some of my own ideas so far:
1) Great Barrier Reef + Cairns: good time to see the reef in Aug, it seems?
2) Indian Pacific one-way on the Great Southern Rail to Perth: rugged scenery and wildflowers in bloom?
3) Jervis Bay: whale and dolphin season?
4) Canberra: museums, and it's the closest city to Sydney?
5) Kuranda town & Barron Gorge National Park (Cairns daytrip, outbound 0830-1025, inbound 1530-1725)
6) hot-air balloon ride (Cairns sunrise-morning)Edited: 30 March 2014, 09:58