We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 week trip - Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 week trip - Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

Hello,

I am planning a trip with a friend for 4-6 weeks between mid july - august to australia, new zealand and fiji. Yes, I know this is hoping for a lot! We plan to do Melbourne to Cairns by Greyhound or campervan - anyone used these? Thinking of spending 3-4 weeks on this, then hoping to do the north island for 10 days (want to visit the Hobbit sets and have heard there is more there). Just hoping for a couple of days in fiji to finish off the trip.

Is this feasible? if not, what would you recommend?

Any tips on routes/sights etc would be most welcome, we like to see sights and beaches.

Thanks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 week trip - Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

Hi. I'm so glad to see you've also asked on the NZ and Fiji forums, we see a lot of people who treat NZ as a simple Aussie add-on.

>>We plan to do Melbourne to Cairns by Greyhound or campervan - anyone used these?<<

Used a campervan? Oh yes! If your motivation is cheapness and an inexperienced perception of convenience you really need to do more research. Use the search box to acquaint yourselves with the bad news, then if you decide it's still for you make sure you spend sufficient for a reputable company. Nothing cheap or convenient about having to find a motel if you break down or making do without a functioning fridge.

Edit: Sorry, just to add, "mid july - august" is winter, cold in southern Australia and colder in New Zealand, not as cold as northern hemisphere winters but still....

Edited: 01 April 2014, 03:05
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 week trip - Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

Thanks for your advice. I understand about the winter months but this is the only time we can fit it in around our studies. Thanks for the advice about the campervan option, I have read a lot of very mixed reviews, some people with similar plans are very for, some very against the idea.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,932 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 week trip - Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

I would not bother driving from Brisbane up to Cairns. There's some points of interest in there, but its a very, very long way with most of the road being inland to protect the road from the heavy storms that come through this area. I do not recall it being all that scenic for the most part.

In winter, you might actually want to head into the Australian mountains around Kosiosko. You don't expect snow capped peaks in Australia, but its quite beautiful. Overall, I do think its worth driving from Melbourne to Brisbane, although in mid-winter, I wouldn't camp! Are the campgrounds even open that far south that time of year? It is however a perfect time for the Red Centre and the far north. Perhaps you would enjoy Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs, Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine Gorge, Litchfield?

Yes, your overall plan is quite doable, its just a case of limiting your plans to the time available. Obviously, there is far more to see in each country that you have allowed, so you just have to choose your points and see them. I would however recommend flying between the main areas you want to visit. If you book your internal flights at the same time as you book your international flights, they are very, very cheap. I think ours worked out to $60/pp per flight.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 week trip - Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

>>some people with similar plans are very for, some very against the idea<<

I've gotten the impression that some people have a perception it's an 'Aussie must do'. Best thing I think is to consider the views of people who have already done it, what they enjoyed and what they didn't enjoy, what they would do differently (did I mention book with a reputable company?), and how all that fits with what suits *you*.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 week trip - Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

thank you for all your advise, I have plenty more to think about!

6. Re: 6 week trip - Australia, New Zealand and Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 06:17