We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chauffeur no-show

Sutton Coldfield...
4 posts
Save Topic
Chauffeur no-show

Early this year we missed an Emirates business class flight to Singapore from Perth, Australia because their pre-booked chauffeur service failed to materialise.

Emirates Customer Services Department in England recommended paying for a local taxi service and reclaiming the fare on our return to England. In spite of the taxi driver's best efforts we missed the gate closure time by 5 mins and were refused access to the flight, which was operated by Qantas.

The Emirates Perth Customer Services Agent confirmed that the problem was theirs and, after offering to put us on the following days flight, finally booked us onto a Singapore Airlines flight leaving 6 or more hours after our missed flight.

Because our onward journey from Perth had had to be re-booked the chauffeur service element for Singapore was erroneously cancelled by the Emirates Perth Customer Services Agent. We discovered this on arrival in Singapore and again had to pay for our hotel transfer.

Not wanting to be caught out again by chauffeur no-shows we phoned Emirates Customer Services Department in Singapore. They recommended phoning Mumbai??? which we did. That call lasted 50 mins but at least the remaining pick-ups and flights were all confirmed. A Customer Services Supervisor confirmed their mistakes and the fact that we could reclaim our out-of-pocket expenses and would be entitled to compensation.

The rest of the trip went to plan.

Within days of our return we made a claim to Emirates for compensation. They have offered us just the cost of the phone call to Mumbai and 10,000 Skyward points - no out-of-pocket expenses or compensation. This is in spite of us sending them recordings of 3 phone conversations with them concerning the chauffeur services, all made prior to our departure for the first leg of the trip to Australia.

Surely, at least the fact that they re-booked us on a flight from Perth with a rival airline was an acceptance by them of their liability.

They are now lying about the conversations. What can we do?

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chauffeur no-show

Did you have travel insurance?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chauffeur no-show

I don't think them re-booking you proves anything about "liability." Full service international airlines will usually rebook you regardless of the reason for the no-show. As a business class passenger they've obviously taken a lot of money from you and it's not like they're just going to make you buy another ticket. So I don't think the rebooking proves anything regarding the cause of the initial no-show.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chauffeur no-show

So, a taxi fare and a transfer cost? Annoying but in the bigger scheme of things, and with a certain MH flight still in the news, I'd put it down to experience and move on.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chauffeur no-show

Are you asking for compensation for the taxi and 3 phonecalls ... that's it?

I believe the fact you chose to call before your return journey to ensure the limo will basically be on you, it wasn't necessary and you simply could have got the train, it's $3 each.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,611 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chauffeur no-show

You are entitled to zero compensation, as there's no legalities in place.

You did not have to re-purchase tickets, they rebooked you on the first available in an equivalent class - arguably better with SQ - and offered 10,000 Skyward Points which has a retail purchase value of approximately USD$350-400.

Able has rightly pointed out that a couple of those calls were 'precautionary' and was technically not required. Considering the inconvenience of 6 hrs delay is the only thing not really accounted for, I too would heed PerthiteOZ's suggestion and move on.

Sutton Coldfield...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chauffeur no-show

Thanks for your responses. Perhaps the clue's in my username.

The stressful rush-hour taxi run from the south of Perth to the airport cost AUD165 plus tip. The limo from Singapore airport to our accommodation cost SGD55 plus tip. The 50 min phone call to Mumbai cost £5. Yes - all of these we could reclaim from our travel insurance - but that's not the point.

This was only part of our problems.

This was a once-in-a-lifetime family visit to my wife's brother who'd just lost his daughter in a tragic accident.

We're in our 70s - my wife is disabled (mobility and heart problems and shouldn't be stressed - hence the reason for the business-class flight) - our wheelchair was damaged in transit - our luggage was damaged on arrival in Perth and then mislaid on our return to England.

Emirates Customer Services acknowledged fault at various stages but now deny everything - in spite of phone calls being recorded with their knowledge and supplied to them as evidence.

It's just not cricket - but then we're used to losing at that too!

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,169 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chauffeur no-show

<<<<<taxi run from the south of Perth to the airport cost AUD165 plus tip>>>>>

A) there is no tipping in Australia

B) south where exactly ? Margaret River ? I have caught taxis from the airport to the furtherest northern and southern Perth Burbs and it's never reached $165!

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Margaret River
Margaret River
Margaret River Region, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,611 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chauffeur no-show

No doubt the circumstances in which you travelled was unfortunate, and it would have magnified the issues further.

However, Emirates nor any other airline, are in the business of emotional judgement, when it comes to calculating responsibility and associated costs. They have placed a goodwill 'dollar value' to your circumstance, and their solution was to cover your initial call plus 10,000 points.

I'm of the strong belief, that by persisting with all this, that you will not achieve anything further. It will merely serve to you living up to your username longer. It's an unfortunate part of travel, and it's exactly the reason you've paid for travel insurance.

I think you should cherish the positives of the trip, rather than pursuing this further and possibly continue tarnishing the good memories of your once in a lifetime journey.

And cricket is cyclic.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 14:04
Sutton Coldfield...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chauffeur no-show

When your limo doesn't arrive and the company who should have been used (Hughes) can't make it and you're running over 30 mins late you go along with whoever they recommend - Swan Taxis in this case - especially when you have no further access to the internet or phones.

The trip from Mandurah area was during rush hour so the driver took quieter back roads at, probably, illegal speeds to get us to the airport in time. When we arrived at the airport we believed that we were in time for the flight and in our circumstances as we'd been let down we were happy to pay the requested price. Incidentally, there obviously is tipping in Australia - it shows on the Live taxiEpay receipt as a service fee with a 10% GST on top of that.

By the time that we had spoken to an Emirates Customer Services Agent, who had been made aware that we were running late, the Qantas check-in desk was closed. The agent later said that he was surprised that they hadn't let us board and that it was probably because we had our own wheelchair.

The thing that bugs me is Emirates lying and, if I do nothing else, I shall be taking that further.

Thanks for your comments.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,611 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chauffeur no-show

Can I ask one thing? What exactly are you hoping to achieve?

If it's some sort of hefty compensation, it will never happen. You are going to spend an inordinate amount of time, going back and forth with "he said, she said", and at the end of the day, Emirates could quite simply say 'case closed'.

I understand principles, I also understand when to walk away. Entirely your prerogative of course.