We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Tips for 2 weeks in Oz and 3 weeks in NZ

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Tips for 2 weeks in Oz and 3 weeks in NZ

Hi,

I'm after a little bit of help if possible, my partner and I have just booked a trip where we plan to spend 2 weeks in Australia and 3 weeks in New Zealand, ideally we would like longer but are unable to because of work commitments.

We fly into Sydney on 12th Dec and plan on working our way up the coast before flying out of Brisbane to Queenstown on 27th Dec. Is there any particular places we should stop or things to do on route? We have a few ideas but are very open to recommendations. We would also like to spend Christmas on the beach, so any tips on places to stay would be great.

We then fly to Queenstown where we hope to spend New Year before making our own way up to Auckland and flying home on 16th Jan. So again any tips on places to stop/see in New Zealand would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Lucy

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Tips for 2 weeks in Oz and 3 weeks in NZ

You need to provide a few more details here...will you be hiring a car to drive up to brisbane...what are you interests? Do you want to see wildlife, the beach country towns, so much to choose from between sydney and brisbane....I suggest you go inland perhaps through the hunter valleyand then up towards coffs harbour to see the beach areas.

if not done already I suggest posting the NZ part of your trip in the NZ forum.

I have been to the queenstown area, and one of the most thrilling things I have done in travel was a helicopter ride up to the franz josef glacier. You could then drive up the west coast which is very scenic and travel to auckland across the water on the ferry. You will need a tight shedule...there is a lot of sightseeing and attractions to cover in 3 weeks, but it will be a fabulous trip♡

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Tips for 2 weeks in Oz and 3 weeks in NZ

Thank you. Yes hiring a car to travel up to Brisbane. Interests include sports, good food/drink, meeting people, enjoy beaches, but also would like to see some of more inland parts. The research I've done on the hunter valley sounds really good and of great interest.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,520 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Tips for 2 weeks in Oz and 3 weeks in NZ

Hi,

I understand that you have limited time, but with only two weeks, are you 100% sure you want to do a road trip?

Hunter Valley is effectively a day trip from Sydney, which can be extended to overnight. But have you done some research on what you want to see 'inland'? Personally, I love the northern tablelands, but I'm not entirely convinced that you'll necessarily experience as much as you could, by including a road trip in just two weeks - especially as you're coming from the other side of the world. We usually would recommend the traditional combination of Sydney - Uluru - Cairns, but if you're really keen on driving, I'd probably recommend you do a couple of road trips from Sydney, fly up to Brisbane and then explore maybe the Hinterlands, and the coastal areas of NSW Far North Coast

Just a thought.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 13:44
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Tips for 2 weeks in Oz and 3 weeks in NZ

Having recently spent time in NZ, a few things/places we really enjoyed are:

Rotorua - fabulous scenery, walks, geological features such as hot springs, mud pools, etc, Maori culture & history, activities such as zorbing & Rotorua luge.

Waitomo - glow worm caves - highly recommend one of the Black Water Rafting Company activities where you abseil down into the cave, cave tube along the underground river, zoom along on the flying fox and see the glow worms - virtually a whole day, and much more thrilling than just the boat through the caves to see the glow worms.

Whether or not you're into The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, a visit to Hobbiton (at Matamata) is fascinating and fun, and gives a real insight into the detail, cost and processes that went into making the films. Book ahead if possible as the tours get busy and can sell out.

5. Re: Travel Tips for 2 weeks in Oz and 3 weeks in NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 06:16