We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beginning travel thoughts

Norwich, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
beginning travel thoughts

yo guys,

I'm in the beginning phases of planning my travel to aus, basically I'm 19 years old, currently not doing an awful lot other than saving money for a rainy day, I'm looking at around 4.5k in my savings account at the moment and don't intend to travel until after summers have plenty of time to increase this.

I'm pretty keen to visit aus for a year or so and would like to travel back through eastern europe (by train) with a close friend of mine.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has done this or is planning to do so in the near future so they could give me a few tips to help me out and whether 4-5k is enough to do the things i want to do. Also how hard is it to actually plan to go to aus and whether training through eastern europe is a good idea with the money i have.

and help/questions would be much appreciated.

cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beginning travel thoughts

There are many web-sites dedicated to young travelers and backpackers ... there is loads of info out there specific to your type of travel.

australia.com/explore/things-to-do/youthful-…

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,538 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beginning travel thoughts

Even if you double that amount, it won't be enough to travel for a year. So you will need to pick up some casual work occasionally. So your fist step would be to sort out a Working holiday visa (WHV). Go to the Department of Immigration website to get that organized.

Then you need to start doing some research. Forums like the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum have dedicated forums for gap year travelers. Travelers point is another good one. See what others have done and pick out what appeals to you. Spend a few months getting a feeling for what you want to see and do. Even in a year you won't see all of the country. Research things like WOOFing - working on a property for a short time in return for food and lodging. Get some marketable skills like a Responsible Service if Alcohol (RSA) certificate. You can get it online and you need it to do any kind of bar work.

You can have a fun year in the planning stages alone. The more forums you get into the more you will learn.

Good luck.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beginning travel thoughts

4,5 pounds or aust dollars?

your airfare here wil be the biggest expense initially so work out when its sale time or the best time to buy. You need at least a years worth od dedicated planning to turn this into reality.....but you have a goal and thats a start...get an exercise book and start taking notes! ♡

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,998 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beginning travel thoughts

I would also start hanging arount the Travellerspoint forums http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm its full of your age group all travelling the world and doing the WHV thing so they have a good idea of how their budgets have worked and what hasnt worked right for them etc.

Researching is all part of the fun of travel so enjoy !!

Norwich, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: beginning travel thoughts

yh sorry i'm talking in english pounds so at the end of the month once i put some more in my savings i should have 5 thousand pounds. cheers for all the help guys, I'm now checking out ur forum suggestions and starting planning.

nice.

6. Re: beginning travel thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16