We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ETA Flying Stand-by from USA

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
71 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
ETA Flying Stand-by from USA

I might be taking a last minute trip to Sydney next Tuesday, April 29. What is the last possible day that I can apply for an ETA? I do not want to waste the $20 on the visa if the flights fill up and decide not to go or get bumped in LAX. I am a citizen of the US. Will they approve it online over the weekend?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ETA Flying Stand-by from USA

No, much better to waste the cost of a flight if you find for some reason you can't get an ETA in time or for some reason you are denied a visa altogether.

If all goes well, the ETA is immediate but no one can guarantee this will happen. There are many reasons there could be a delay.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ETA Flying Stand-by from USA

Based on the way the OP is describing being bumped from flights if they fill up, I suspect he/she is travelling on airline flight benefits. Even if using a "Zed" fare (which tends to be 10% of the normal fare), a full refund is provided if she can't fly for whatever reason. Still I do think it's a bit silly to draw this out for $20. OP, the ETA is good for a year, so if you can't fly this time, maybe it will be useful sometime in the next year?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
71 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ETA Flying Stand-by from USA

Thank you for the quick responses. Yes, I am an airline employee. Trying to decide between Japan and Australia. Sydney is my first choice but the Tokyo flights have more available seats. If we don't make it this time it will be over a year before I will have time to try again and the ETA will have expired. So I guess I have to decide if I want to risk the $40 for my daughter and myself. We usually don't have to worry about visa requirements and can make last minute decisions based on seat availability.

4. Re: ETA Flying Stand-by from USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 07:15