We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

Hi,

I'm looking for help planning the rest of my stay here in Australia. It's a long post but even just some sort of direction would be a great help.

I've already been to Melbourne and I'm presently in Sydney.

I'm looking at the major cities/spots for work. I'm a painter/decorator by trade.

My idea is the following. Perhaps you can improve on it. It's very much based on how the weather will be in these places at that time of the year.

From July 1st 2014 Darwin and Red Centre until the end of 2014.

Start of 2015 go to Sydney for fire work display and Melbourne for the Australian Open.

From Melbourne head to Hobart and Tasmania for the entire month of February

From here is where I'm having the problem. Where do I fit WA, Queensland and SA in in the remaining 10 months. I want to give 4 months to both WA and Queensland with the last 2 months to Adelaide. The priority is WA and Queensland so if i don't go to Tasmania or SA I don't really mind.

I plan on getting to these places by December 1st 2015 when my visa expires. I've put in brackets spots were i think it could be possible to get work. I've also put places i wanted to visit that are in a similar location. I'm aware that i may have to base myself in one of the main cities/spots and then take some weeks off to get to some places.

Here's the list

Sydney = Need to be here for 2015 new years celebrations

Melbourne = need to be at Australian Open tennis from January 19th to February 1st

Darwin = I'm planning on being in Darwin from July 1st 2014

Darwin

Kakadu National Park

Litchfield National Park

Katherine gorge (Perhaps the town of Katherine is big enough to find work?)

The Red centre

Uluru

Kings canyon

South Australia

Adelaide (Big enough to find work?)

Kangaroo Island

Wilpena Pond

Tasmania

Hobart (Big enough to find work?)

Overland track

Most of 2015 I'll dedicate to both Queensland and Western Australia

Queensland

Brisbane

Gold coast (mainly Coolangata and surfers paradise)

Sunshine Coast (Mainly Noosa)

Fraser Island

Byron Bay

Cairns (Big enough to find work)

Great Barrier Reef

Daintree Rainforest

Airlie beach (Big enough to find work)

Whitsundays islands (Whiteheaven beach)

Western Australia

Perth and the area all the way down to Albany

Broome (Big enough to find work?)

Gibb river road in the Kimberley

Exmouth (Big enough to find work?)

Ningaloo Marine park

Karijini National Park

Thanks for any suggestions.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

Katherine has a population of about 12 000, so you may be able to find work there if you have the appropriate visa. However, if it was me I would plan to find work in Darwin and visit Katherine on a weekend trip or two. There is much more to do in Darwin.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

Another couple of thoughts.

Don't skip Tasmania it is awesome and very different to the other places you will be visiting.

You need to do the Gibb River Road in the dry season. North Qld is also best in the dry season.

Do you have to do SA last? If not weather wise it would be best to do Tassie in Feb, then SA in March/April. Then head to WA, starting in the south and working your way north. Then finish your trip in Qld starting in the north and working your way south.

Enjoy

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

<<<<I'm looking at the major cities/spots for work. I'm a painter/decorator by trade.>>>

Assuming you have a working holiday visa or another form of work visa - you need to check the conditions of that specific visa as some will specify where you can and cant work - ie regional vs city etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,374 posts
1,539 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

As mentioned by Shazdawn you will need to do the Gibb River Road in the dry season & Nth Qld / NT / Nth WA are all best in our winter / Spring time - June / July / August / Sept - no stingers / cyclone or wet season.

www.marinestingers.com.au

I would work your itinerary around the months above for Ningaloo Reef / Exmouth / Karijini National Park/ Broome / Kimberley's / Gibb River / Kununurra / Darwin / Uluru / Katherine / Litchfield & Kakadu NP / Cairns / Port Douglas / Daintree NP & the Whitsundays.

Suggested itinerary 1st section - June - September

Perth - Ningaloo Reef / Exmouth / Broome / Gibb River / Kimberley's / Kununurra / Darwin / Litchfield & Kakadu NP / Katherine / Kings Canyon / Uluru / Cairns / Port Douglas / Daintree NP & the Whitsundays.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

OK after reading your suggestions what do you think of the following Itinerary.

The year 2014

July 2014 to end of the year = Darwin and Red Centre

The year 2015

January = Sydney and Melbourne

February = Try to find some casual job in Tasmania

March = Try to find some casual job in Adelaide and SA

April to July = Work in Perth and travel down to Albany on weekends with side trips to Exmouth, Ningaloo Marine park, Karijini National Park in June and Broome and the Gibb River Road in July 2015

August to September = Work in Cairns with side trips to Great barrier reef, Daintree rainforest, Whitesundays

October to end of November = Work in Brisbane and travel to Fraser Island for a weekend. Dedicate a week from work in Brisbane to go to side trips to Coolangata and surfers paradise combined, Byron Bay and Noosa.

Just a few questions.

Cairns, Adelaide and Hobart are big enough to possibly find work?

The side trips are possible from the main cities I base myself in?

Thanks for all your help

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

Looks like a good plan. Keep in mind that it will be getting pretty hot in both Darwin and Central Australia from about Oct to the end of the year. But if you keep your plans flexible you could always head to Syd or Melb to look for work early if you don't like it.

Yes Cairns, Adelaide and Hobart are big enough for you to look for work in.

If you want to do Exmouth as a side trip from Perth you will need to fly. Same with the Whitsundays from Cairns.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 11:06
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

Ok thanks for that. So I'll have to fly into both exmouth and broome? Where do i fly into to get to the Gibbs river road?

Do I fly into Airlie beach or one of the airports on the whitsundays islands?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,311 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

PROSPERINE or Hamilton Island.

From Vairns usually Hammo

Airlie is a back packer market for work

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

To get to Exmouth your would fly to Learmonth.

For the Gibb River Road you would fly to Broome.

I assume you will be hiring a car in Broome to do the GRR (and Karanjini?). If so keep in mind that if you don't return the car to Broome you will have to pay a one way rental fee which can be huge. Maybe allow yourself enough time to do a loop from Broome, along the GRR and then back along the sealed road.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 23:45
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on how to improve Australian Itinerary

You will need a 4WD to tour the Gibb River Road. It is rough and you need to be fully preapred with spare tyre maybe 2, some sort of vehicle assistance (mechanical) and either have camp gear or you stay in cabins.

The distances between stations is far so you need to plan this well. You are unable to just stop and sleep anywhere as this is unsafe and you will be potentially trespassing.