We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Class VS Economy Rail

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Windsor
Level Contributor
763 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
First Class VS Economy Rail

Good Morning

I was looking at fares from Melbourne to Sydney and then from Sydney to Brisbane. I was wondering (considering the length of the journeys) if the difference in fares between 1st and economy was worth it? MEL to SYD - $130.00 economy vs $183.00 first and SYD to BNE $130.00 vs $174.00.

I have travelled both economy and first here in Canada and don't think the difference is worth it. Having never been on a train in Australia (planning my first visit!!!) I want to make sure I make the right decisions.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,418 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Class VS Economy Rail

Hi

Unless you absolutely want to catch the train - as a keen railway buff, the trip is debatable as whether it's worth it full stop. It's nothing like the trains in Canada or North America, and light years away from trains in Europe and Asia.

You can get sale fares as cheap as $49 to fly if you book it early it enough.

If you still wish to travel by train, the first class is only worth it on an overnight, to get a cabin. On a daylight service, no.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 13:41
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Class VS Economy Rail

I fly MEL - SYD regularly. Even buying on the day of travel and not using a LCC the fare is significantly less than $130 and if bought in advance on a LCC can be half that amount.

Similarly SYD - BNE is about $50 for a ticket on a LCC. Is there any reason you would prefer to spend 12-15 hours in a train rather than take a 1 hour flight?

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Windsor
Level Contributor
763 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Class VS Economy Rail

Thanks for your replies, they are appreciated. Looking over the rail map and prices, I think we will be flying between ADE and MEL and MEL and SYD. We wil take the train between SYD and BNE.

It appears that Australia (portions of it) are very much like Canada. Huge swaths of nothing to see between points of interest.

I agree, why spend hours upon hours on a train with nothing to see.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Windsor
Level Contributor
763 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Class VS Economy Rail

BTW....what is a LCC?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Class VS Economy Rail

LCC - low cost carrier. Only carry-on luggage is free, checked luggage should be prepaid (you can pay at the airport, but it will cost more). Pay for in-flight meals/drinks.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Windsor
Level Contributor
763 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Class VS Economy Rail

Excellent, thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Class VS Economy Rail

You're most welcome :)

8. Re: First Class VS Economy Rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16