We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight fares in Australia

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flight fares in Australia

I live in Hong Kong and I'm planning to visit Australia in July and August for around 16 days. I found that the prices offered by Tigerair is much more lower than Jetstar. Is this company reliable?

Here is my plan:

7/27 HKG-KUL $601HKD (Airasia)

7/28 KUL-ADL $369MYR (Airasia)

7/30 ADL-MEL $42AUD (Tiger)

8/3 SYD-CNS $65AUD (Tiger)

8/6 CNS-BNE $72AUD (Tiger)

8/10 BNE-DRW$99AUD (Tiger)

8/12 DRW-HKG$254.8AUD(Jetstar)

I want to book the flights when they are cheapest. Do you think that it is worthy to buy the tickets now?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight fares in Australia

They are very cheap fares! But equally, Tiger is a very cheap airline. You may have no problem at all and all your flights go off without a hitch - they might also be rescheduled or cancelled and you will have to deal with their customer service.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/tiger.htm

Please read their terms and conditions carefully and make yourself aware of any extra fees and charges before purchasing your tickets.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,796 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight fares in Australia

If you have checked luggage don't forget to add in the cost for luggage.

Also, add the cost for food and drinks and seat selection (if you want a specific seat). Don't forget to add in the cost of and unnecessary night in KL. Hotel cost, transport to and from the airport etc.

Then work out the total cost and compare it to a multi city ticket with one of the legacy carriers like Qantas.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 10:17
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight fares in Australia

Yes buy the tickets now. AirAsia has recently started flying into ADL so they have promo fares. Prices WILL go up. We have recently bought several flights from them for this reason.

So long as you are prepared for delayed -or even cancelled flights book with Tiger- you certainly wont get cheaper flights.

I spend a lot of time checking airfares -Qantas is NEVER cheaper!!!

Edited: 09 May 2014, 10:59
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight fares in Australia

remember that low cost carriers like AirAsia and TigerAir and many others are very strict regarding checking in times....check in before the alloted time ie one hour etc (depending on the airline).........don't be late

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight fares in Australia

Hmm well rellies just missed a QF flight this week cos they checked in too late. Motto is don't be late for ANY flight.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight fares in Australia

Thanks for your precious replies.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight fares in Australia

Tiger Australia is basically the same as Tiger Asia but much smaller. Would you book same fares within Asia for same cost or conditions? Tiger Australia is a point to point carrier meaning you will have to collect your luggage at each port and re check. As you have allowed space between flights you may me ok but if a flight is cancelled or delayed elswhere you dont have the back up of larger airlines to reacommodate you as Tiger Australia currently only operate a small fleet and one cancellation or delay in the network could affect other ports. There are many good reports of Tiger Australia and their reputation is getting better since they were grounded over safety issues. Personally doing the amount of flying you intend to do Qantas, Jetstar or Virgin would be my choice. Often Qantas will offer comparable fares and all inclusive.

8. Re: Flight fares in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:17