We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't book with Hippie Campers !!!

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Don't book with Hippie Campers !!!

Very poor customer service and hidden costs in terms of insurance. After having several problems with the van, an issue with a lost item was very poorly managed. On top of that, I had an alleged traffic infringement for not paying TOLL. Even, after sending over day pass and payment receipt, I still haven't back the $75 'administration fee'. Over all, it was an experience I wouldn't recommend to anyone and next time I'll stay with the competitors, as I had a lot of good experiences with them. Even in this budget category you have to treat your customers in an appropriate way - and not like 'anarchic Hippies'. We considered to hire a big van next year, but this also crossed out Apollo from the list of potential car rentals.

Not quite sure, what's 'Deluxe' about the van and thank god I haven't rented the normal version. However, I had 2 times a flat battery because the fuse for the control light / tone for the headlights wasn't replaced. This caused me once waiting 3 hours for the RACV, after having 2 not very helpful calls with your helpline. (Look in the service book!?) The 2nd time I was stuck in the middle of nowhere for a night. These things can easily be avoided, when you maintain the cars properly. But there was even an attached tape, where the bench top was glued and nobody could be bothered to take it off...I guess, that says it all. After returning the van and telling the story to the staff, she answered: The service book actually shouldn't be in the glove box...!? That was all. I'm sure the fuse is still not replaced and nobody really cares about the feedback - and probably also not about this one. (maybe Luigi ...?)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,997 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't book with Hippie Campers !!!

Care? Who me?

I make a point of responding to all these kinda posts, but it's usually just to point out that there's plenty of information on this forum. And that you usually get just what you pay for in life - that being especially true of van rental in Australia.

Apart from that, I care most about the damage that unrepentant van companies do to Australia's image as a travel destination. :)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't book with Hippie Campers !!!

Apart from that, I care most about the damage that unrepentant van companies do to Australia's image as a travel destination +1 Also the thought people driving around in what they themselves often admit are unroadworthy vehicles but for some reason all they do is complete their cheap trip and then whine on TA about how their lives were put at risk.

Edit: See, I don't even read to the end of these rants any more, I just noticed both your posts breach the rules regarding harassment/personal attack. So you've been hanging around TA since Feb 2013 for this?

Edited: 10 May 2014, 03:50
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,813 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't book with Hippie Campers !!!

<<<<On top of that, I had an alleged traffic infringement for not paying TOLL.>>>

I seriously doubt it was "alleged". Did you pay the toll at the time or not ?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't book with Hippie Campers !!!

Here we go again with another bad camper review. I just wish that those who have had bad experiences with camper companies researched the forum first before jumping in and trying to do it on the cheap.

As they say you only get what you pay for. Luigi, Mac and PP I totally agree with you on this one.

5. Re: Don't book with Hippie Campers !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17