We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 Days in Australia

Attleboro, MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
15 Days in Australia

I am planning a trip to Australia in Sept using my frequent flier miles. I have been to Sydney but looking to ideas as to what else I can see that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Perhaps the Great Barrier Reef, Melbourn. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I know this is the winter time so not sure what is open. Also any recommendations for hotels would be appreciated.

Thanks for your suggestions/input.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 Days in Australia

Australia is open 365 days a year:-))

September is a great time to visit the Great Barrier Reef. It's not too hot and wet and the stinger season won't have started. You could spend half your time in Cairns or Port Douglas and surrounds taking in the Daintree Rainforest, the Atherton Tablelands and the Reef.

The rest of the time you could spend further south either on the Sunshine Coast or around Byron Bay. If you like glitz and theme parks then you might like the Gold Coast.

If the finances are up to it, you could spend the time at and around Uluru exploring the outback or in the Top End visiting Darwin, Katherine, Kakadu and Litchfield NPs. (That would be my choice but it's pretty hot and humid up there by September)

I wouldn't visit Melbourne in September. It can be quite nice spring weather but it can also be cold, wet and windy.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 14:46
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 Days in Australia

September is the beginning of Spring.

Everything is open, subject to weather/snow in outback & skiing areas.

What are your interests?

For airfares, have a look at Virgin, Qantas & Jetstar. Sign on for their web news & you may get a bargain. Virgin has "Happy Hour" specials.

For accommodation, www.wotif.com.au & bookings.com will give you a good overview of properties, locations & prices.

Most popular route for visitors with 2 weeks is Sydney, Great Barrier Reef (Cairns), Red Centre (Uluru ).

As you've already been to Sydney, you might go to Melbourne, take a couple of days & drive some way along the Great Ocean Road, see some wine country.

Some information about your interests, whether you will rent a car where necessary/ recommended, & accommodation budget in aud will help us give you some meaningful advice.

Attleboro, MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 Days in Australia

Thanks for your input. I am trying to keep expenses to a minimum and hopefully not have to rent a car but would do it if the "tours" are too expensive. I am trying to do much of the "touristy" must sees as I am not sure when I will ever get the opportunity to get out that way again. Are there any Marriott or Hyatt properties as I would like to utilize my points when I can. I know in the states, Marriott properties include breakfast and nightly appetizers for being a gold member. Do they have this in Australia? If not, any recommendations for a nice, inexpensive hotels would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 Days in Australia

There are Marriott and Hyatt properties here.

Just google them or look on Wotif.

Top line - Grand Hyatt in Melbourne, Park Hyatt in Sydney.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 Days in Australia

When you decide on your locations then its easier to give you some recommendations. try wotif.com.au and then narrow down from there.

I really think if this is going to be a trip here you are not sure you will be back, then do some research on what really grabs you- what is it that you dont want to miss. www.australia.com

You can do day tours very easily and use public transport in all the main cities very easily. Public transport in Cairns/Port Douglas is a little harder and you need to do tours or organise transfers. Same with Uluru, Kakadu.

6. Re: 15 Days in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 06:17