We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noise Cancelling headphones

Adelaide
Level Contributor
89 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Noise Cancelling headphones

Can anyone suggest ones that work well, preferably under $250, are comfy to wear on planes and don't take up too much space. I will be travelling to Europe and simply cannot hear the plane headphones clearly enough to enjoy the movies.

I will follow up any suggestions and will appreciate any views at all.

jt2407

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

G'day BB,

They're available from JB Hifi - jbhifi.com.au/portable/…

Edited: 22 May 2014, 08:29
Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

Thanks KVE. I was just wondering how those headphones go when you are trying to sleep in a noisy hotel room with traffic noise and barking dogs nearby? Or are they more for use on a plane?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

Love my Bose

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

No, I dont think they were specifically designed for just use in 'enclosed' space, and if anything more likely it was designed for 'street' use.

As far as I know, the buds are designed for insertion, so if you're lying on it, it shouldn't be of any discomfort. I know my SIL often sleeps on flights and watches movies on her tablet, and she loves them. I personally count vouch for the Sony model but I've previously had just regular bud type headphones and no issue resting my head on a pillow on that side.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

I haven't tried my to sleep in apart from on a plane, but they could be worth trying if you were desperate. I'd imagine tangling may be an issue? They certainly feel better in your ears than those foam plugs you buy from the chemist!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

Forgot to mention, my over-the-ear BOSE, as much as I love them, are pretty impossible to sleep in, unless you can sleep on your back.

Auckland Region...
10 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

Whenever I go on flights, I take my Sony in ear earphones, some XB30 or something (extra bass ones). The noise from outside is best isolated in earbuds only, imo. Further, the bulky headphone take up some precious space in my otherwise small baggage. Got them for under $ 100 while I was in US.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

I must get myself a pair for home when the kids are driving me mad..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

<<Forgot to mention, my over-the-ear BOSE, as much as I love them, are pretty impossible to sleep in, unless you can sleep on your back<<

Ive not had a problem and Im a side sleeper but everyone is going to have a different opinion.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Noise Cancelling headphones

>> I must get myself a pair for home when the kids are driving me mad..<<

I wear mine at the footy (AFL) to listen to the game on the radio, it has the added benefit of shutting off the noise from Mr Mia sitting next to me! If I want to hear some crowd noise I remove the bud on the side away from him ;-)