We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International flight + pass for domestic flights ?

Mannheim
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Topic
International flight + pass for domestic flights ?

Hi,

we would like to go to Australia from mid-October to mid-Nov. I didn´t finish my plans but we would like to see the area of Darwin, Cairns, the east cost and if possible Eyers Rock.

To save time we would have to book domestic flights. Is there something like a combination of a international flight with a pass for domestic flights or should we book the internation flight and the domestic flight seperatly ? What would be the best way ?

Thank you very much

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International flight + pass for domestic flights ?

The Qantas Pass may suit you: qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/air-pass/us/en

It would be best to decide exactly what your itinerary will be before trying to compare prices.

Mannheim
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: International flight + pass for domestic flights ?

Hi,

thanks for your answer. Do I have to book the international flight with Quatas if I would like to have the pass ?

Thanks

Nina

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,099 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International flight + pass for domestic flights ?

Yes, the Qantas airpass must be booked together with a Qantas international flight.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 17:04
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International flight + pass for domestic flights ?

And that fact will determine the economics of the overall itinerary. While the Pass itself is good value, the cost of a Qantas international ticket may be substantially more than other airlines.

Read this page for good info on internal air travel in Australia: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c124168/Austr…

There are links on that page to our main local airlines. It's best to book directly with the airlines - not with a third party booking website.

Luigi

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,669 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International flight + pass for domestic flights ?

Thats a really good point Luigi.

I took a quick glance at comparative fares, at Matrix.Itasoftware, Skyscanner, QF's Airpass Multi-City option, using random dates mid October returning mid November;

Qantas Airpass

Ex Frankfurt (FRA-SYD-AYQ-DRW-CNS-SYD-FRA) = €1849 / AUD$2729

Ex London (LHR-SYD-AYQ-DRW-CNS-SYD-LHR) €1649 / AUD$2434

****In comparison, using the cheapest fare and buying return, and adding separate one way options;

China Eastern/Jetstar

Ex Frankfurt (FRA-SYD-FRA) + (SYD-AYQ-DRW-CNS-SYD) = €1486 / AUD$2195

Malaysian Airlines/Jetstar

Ex London (LHR-SYD-LHR) + (SYD-AYQ-DRW-CNS-SYD) = €1577 / AUD$2329

Not much difference ex London, but ex Frankfurt (closest city for OP, one stop to Sydney) there is a very big difference.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
6. Re: International flight + pass for domestic flights ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:17