We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
130 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

We are a couple and would love some help or suggestions for this itinerary Travel days are not included. First two weeks of June 2014. Any changes or suggestions are welcome we flying to each different city and debating of renting a car or hire a tour/guide in Ayers Rock

From day 1 to 3 Sydney arrive in the morning

Day 4 – Sydney Ayers rock Rent a car? or hire a tour?

Day 5 Ayers rock/Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)

Day 6 Ayers Rock/Cairns

Day 7 - to day 13 Cairns PADI Certification

Day 13- cairns-Melbourn

Day14-16 Melbourn

Day 16 Back home

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

I would recommend renting a car in Ayers Rock, tours and everything in Ayers Rock is really expensive. The Olgas and Ayers Rock are about 1.5 hr drive from each other. I would highly recommend getting a fly net, I was in Uluru in April and the flies are really annoying. The sunset at Uluru is a must see.

I would avoid Melbourne in June and July, the weather is depressing as it will be winter there.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

I would also recommend renting a car at Uluru - much more freedom to do what you want to do when you want to do it.

Make sure you bring some warm clothes, Melbourne can be chilly in June.

Enjoy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

Another vote for hiring a car at Uluru. Make sure you book the car ahead to avoid disappointment.

For additional information on Uluru

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru…

Your itinerary looks workable !

Enjoy Australia.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
130 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

Thanks I have the final itinerary however I'm not sure about the Ayers Rock How this looks Saturday

Day 2 Melbourne 8:40 am

Day 3 Great Ocean Road and 12 apostles drive

Day 4 Melbourne Cairns Fly

Day 5 Cairns PADI

Day 6 Cairns PADI

Day 7 Cairns PADI

Day 8 Cairns PADI

Day 9 Cairns PADI

Day 10 Cairns Sydney 6:pm-9 pm

Day 11 Sydney

Day 12 Sydney

Day 13 Sydney

Day 14 Sydney Ayers Rock Arrive at 1:40 pick-up rental car lunch @ Ininti Café (Cultural Centre)

Kata Tjuta (the Olgas ) Uluru car park for sunset viewing (sunset time ??? Dinner – Geckos Cafe?

Day 15 Early to see Sunrise hen drive to Drive to Kings Canyon spend night here

Day 16 Drive back to Uluru another sunrise there??? Kings Canyon Rim Walk, Walpa Gorge walk spend night Ayers another Sunset.

Monday 23 Day 17 Ayers Rock-Sydney/ Sydney Home

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

>>Day 3 Great Ocean Road and 12 apostles drive<<

In case by drive you mean self drive rather than being driven on a tour....

If you want to see the GOR soon after arriving via a long international flight take a tour.

If you want to see the GOR in only one day take a tour.

If you want to see the GOR in one day after arriving on a long international flight take a tour.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

We leave for the Rock thi sThursday and are very excited. It's my second time there and I definitely recommend hiring a car to drive yourself. We booked through Hertz in advance and got a massive discount for paying everything up front. About $500 less than we would have paid. A great deal.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

Have you considered flying from Cairns to Uluru and then to Sydney. There are direct flights between Cairns and Uluru and this would save backtracking and would mean one less flight in your itinerary. Just make sure you have 24 hours after your last dive before you fly.

>>>Day 14 Sydney Ayers Rock Arrive at 1:40 pick-up rental car lunch @ Ininti Café (Cultural Centre)

Kata Tjuta (the Olgas ) Uluru car park for sunset viewing (sunset time ??? Dinner – Geckos Cafe?

Day 15 Early to see Sunrise hen drive to Drive to Kings Canyon spend night here

Day 16 Drive back to Uluru another sunrise there??? Kings Canyon Rim Walk, Walpa Gorge walk spend night Ayers another Sunset.>>>

This part of the itinerary is a bit confused - you seem to be going back and forth a bit for no real reason.

Here is an alternative for consideration.

Day 14 Sydney Ayers Rock Arrive at 1:40 pick-up rental car lunch @ Ininti Café (Cultural Centre). Drive around Uluru, if time do a short walk into Mutijulu Waterhole. Check into hotel. Sunset viewing at Uluru.

Day 15 Sunrise Kata Tjuta (there is a good lookout on the way for this - someone else may be able to supply the name). Walpa Gorge Walk. Drive to Kings Canyon for overnight. Do Kings Canyon Gorge Walk in afternoon if time allows.

Day 16 Kings Canyon Rim Walk in early morning (best time to do it by far). Return to Uluru. Sunset.

Day 17 Sunrise Uluru. If you have time I would highly recommend doing the base walk around Uluru before your flight to Sydney.

Cheers

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
130 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

David did you book though Hertz via which website? Would you send me the link?

Shaz: The problem Fliying out of Cairns is that we have to wait the 24 hrs after diving and the direct flights are only am flights, meaning we will have to stay an extra day in Cairns that we do not want so we will fly to Sydney from Cairns the next day after diving on a pm flight and from Sydney go to Ayers.

and this is the plan

Day 14 Sydnet Ayers that day drive to Kings Canyon Spend the night there

Day 15 Sunrise Kings Canyon Rim Walk. Back to Urulu Check into hotel. Sunset.

Day 16 Sunrise Kata Tjuta or Urulu? . Walpa Gorge Walk.

Day 17 base walk around Uluru before your flight to Sydney.

Thanks for the tips!!We are super exited !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

We booked with Hertz directly and they give a number of options. The Pay Now option provides a discount as you are paying everything up front. It was an awesome discount. We got 8 days for $580 for a little RAV4 (4WD as we intend to continue on from Kings Canyon on a dirt road).

I would personally do both sunrises. Uluru is a definite plus easy and there is also a lookout on the way to Kata Tjuta that is great. I think walk through Kata Tjuta is more wonderful in 'some' way that walking around the Rick as you are surrounded by loads of mini Ulurus. We are also doing a helicopter flight over both. I would dearly love to climb the rock but am very conflicted and erring on the side of caution I'll respect what is asked (whether I personally believe of not).

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 days (Sydney, Cairns, Urulu, Melborne) help!!

Ahhh - yes I wondered if it was due to flight times.

The itinerary for Uluru area looks much better now.

If you like walking you may want to consider the Valley of the Winds Walk at Kata Tjuta instead of/as well as Walpa Gorge. You will have plenty of time that day .

It sounds like a great trip - have fun!