We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 week itinerary from Brisbane to Sydney- advice please!

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
6 week itinerary from Brisbane to Sydney- advice please!

Hi everyone,

I'm flying out with a friend to Brisbane in October for 6 weeks and my return flight is out of Sydney. I want to fit as much as possible into my trip and make the most out of it!

I would like to see Cairns, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, Fraser Island, Tasmania and Uluru. I know this is a lot in a short period but I figured if I'm over there I may as well!

I'm guessing we're going to travel by greyhound and inland flights but renting a car is also on the books.

I'd love to to a sky dive so advise on where the best place to do this would be much appreciated,

I have a budget of about £6000 and would like to know if anyone has got any suggestions of a route to try and fit all this in?

Also if anyone has any suggestions to day excursions? Touristy or unknown, I'm open to all advise.

Thanks in advance

Becky :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 week itinerary from Brisbane to Sydney- advice please!

Hi Rebecca

If you are first flying into Brisbane, I would suggest doing the 2 or 3 day Sunset Safari Eco Tour the day after you arrive. This tour goes to Fraser Island and while I normally recommend people drive up to Hervey Bay to do their Fraser Island tours since it's closer, with all the travel your looking to do, I think it will be easier on you to limit the amount of travelling you have to do if it's not necessary.

One you get back from your Fraser tour I would suggest having one day in Brisbane to look around. Stay somewhere in the city or inner city such as South Bank, West End or Kangaroo Point. This means you can easily walk to the places you might want to check out. After a day in Brisbane I would suggest hiring a car and driving to the Gold Coast and Byron Bay. You can also catch the Greyhound or there is a train that goes from Brisbane to the Gold Coast - up to you. I would personally go straight to Byron Bay which is a further hour drive from the Gold Coast and stay overnight here. It's a small beachy town that shouldn't be missed! Great beach and hippy vibe with lots of good places to eat. Once you're back on the Gold Coast you could stay in either Surfers Paradise or a less touristy beach depending on what you're into. If you do prefer a quieter area I recommend Broadbeach, Burleigh or Cooloongatta and if you ever wanted to see Surfers Paradise, you can quite easily catch a bus there and back. I would suggest you spend 2 nights on the Gold Coast - the weather in October should be beautiful.

From the Gold Coast you could then catch a flight to Cairns. You can get a flight with Jetstar who are fairly cheap. Depending on how much of the Reef you want to see, I'd recommend only spending about 3-4 nights here. You could also do a tour of the Kuranda Rainforest from here and I would recommend an over night tour of the Outer Barrier Reef if you're keen to do diving. The 2 Day/1 Night Outer Barrier Reef Encounter is a really good value for money tour and you would get to go to at least 4 different reef locations. This is also the area I'd suggest doing your sky dive because there are a number of companies you can choose to go with. Otherwise Sydney would be my next place to suggest a sky dive.

From Cairns you could then fly to Uluru. I don't know too much about this area as I've never been but I've heard you should spend at least 5 days here. There is only one flight a day from Cairns to Uluru and you would have to fly with Qantas.

From Uluru there are no flights directly to Tasmania so you would have to fly to either Sydney or Melbourne. Depending on what your interests are, you don't need too many days in Melbourne and I'd suggest no more than 4 nights or even 3 and spend an extra night in Tasmania. You should dedicate a good 5 nights in Tasmania and then fly back to Sydney. Again, I've never been to Tasmania but I know it's a stunning area with quite a lot to do which is why I suggested 5 nights.

Hope this helps!

Laura

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 week itinerary from Brisbane to Sydney- advice please!

>>You should dedicate a good 5 nights in Tasmania and then fly back to Sydney. Again, I've never been to Tasmania but I know it's a stunning area with quite a lot to do which is why I suggested 5 nights.<<

+1

You could easily spend twice as long there but 5 nights is a good minimum considering you are an overseas visitor wanting to see a variety of places. You have a choice of airports, Hobart or Launceston, and then a decision about whether to concentrate on the Hobart region or the Launceston region or do a one way trip between the two. A car is really useful in Tasmania although there are tours as well if you prefer that. Have a look at the FAQ's on the Tasmania forum, there's lots of good info and itinerary suggestions.

In 6 weeks you could find time for the capital, it's between Sydney and Melbourne so there's maybe a possibility of fitting a stop in there.

3. Re: 6 week itinerary from Brisbane to Sydney- advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 05:15