We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions very welcome

Santpoort-Zuid, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions very welcome

Hello,

My husband and I are planning our first visit to Australia, thanks to a conference being held in Sydney. We shall therefore be in Sydney for a week and then have three weeks holiday. We are both happiest being in a place and just soaking up the atmosphere and we also enjoy walking/cycling/bird & animal 'spotting'. However, as this will most probably be our once in a life time trip, we want to see different areas and get an impression of the 'best of Ausieland' . I'm not sure if I have a realistic idea of distances and would welcome comments and suggestions. Many thanks to anyone who has time to consider this.

Week 1: Friday to Friday Sydney & conference (so mostly work but some play)

Friday pick up a rental car in Sydney and drive to Blue mountains NP. Return to Sydney on Sunday or Monday and fly to Adelaide

2 days in Adelaide exploring city.

Pick up rental car and drive to Flinders Ranges NP and stay for 2 or 3 days. Drive back to Adelaide and continue to Kangaroo Island, also stay for 2 days. Drive the GOR to Melbourne in 3 days. Spend a day in Melbourne and then fly to Cairns. Combine last week with Barrier Reef and Daintree NP. Return flight to Sydney for return flight home.

Is this feasible in 22 days? Does it sound like a great holiday ??

Many thanks.

Susan

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions very welcome

Check the road distances between destinations www.auinfo.com

Car rental www.drivenow.com.au www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au

Taking the rental vehicle onto the Kangaroo ferry, check with the car rental agent, though Thrifty are known to allow their vehicles on ferries with restrictions.

Ferry www.sealink.com.au Flights www.rex.com.au

Flights Sydney to Adelaide and Melbourne to Cairns to Sydney www.qantas.com.au www.jetstar.com

www.visitnsw.com www.southaustralia.com www.visitvictoria.com www.cairns-greatbarrierreef.org.au

Accommodation www.venere.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions very welcome

I think it sounds like a great trip and completely doable. I also think it's fantastic that you have chosen some of the lesser known highlights of Australia rather than just picking the stock standard Sydney-Uluru-Cairns path. However I would spend at least 2 days in Melbourne before heading up north for a week. OK I'm from Melbourne and it might seem biased, but there's a lot to do and see. It would be like someone going to Amsterdam for one day.

You also didn't mention what time of year you're coming here, which is an important consideration especially if you're going to northern Australia and the Flinders Ranges. Eg in our summer northern Australia experiences the wet season, and the Flinders Ranges will be very hot.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions very welcome

Have you thought of changing the sequence, so you can fly into SYD, and fly out of MEL on an open jaw ticket?

If you travelled in sequence from SYD-CNS-ADL-MEL, it would eliminate one flight sector and minimize overflying.

Santpoort-Zuid, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions very welcome

This is all very helpful. Thanks for the web sites Nurioopta. Also for Melbourne advice Simone. The die is cast re flights in and out of Sydney: Maybe not the best arrangement but it has the advantage that we can leave our smart conference clothes behind and pick them up at the end of our trip.

I hope we do manage to avoid the major tourist 'traps' just because they seem to bring out the worst and not the best in everyone. I even swither about traveling the GOR for that reason........

am I right in thinking internal flights can be booked at short notice without a huge increase in price? Our preference is to have a plan and then adapt it as we go.

Thanks again for any suggestions. they are much appreciated and if i can return the favour (I am a Scot living in the Netherlands) I shall!

Susan

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions very welcome

>>I hope we do manage to avoid the major tourist 'traps' just because they seem to bring out the worst and not the best in everyone. I even swither about traveling the GOR for that reason........<<

I wouldn't worry about that. It's a beautiful natural region and although there are tour buses stopping at the main highlights we really didn't encounter them much. Some of it is timing, for example I've seen suggestions here about what time to visit the Apostles lookout to avoid the worst crowds of daytrippers. Also some of the lesser known and more isolated lookouts near Port Campbell we had to ourselves. The time of year could make some difference, you still haven't mentioned...?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions very welcome

No, the Great Ocean Road is stunning. You won't be disappointed.

Santpoort-Zuid, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions very welcome

Hello MacKnee (I am also a Mac...Mackie)

We arrive 10th October and leave 9 November, so swapping autumn for spring. Yours and Simone's enthusiasm for the GOR has convinced me!

Susan

8. Re: Itinerary suggestions very welcome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:16