We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip in December

Dunnellon, Florida
8 posts
Save Topic
trip in December

Planning trip in December.Want to to see great barrier reef,bondi beach,zoos.Where would be a good place to stay.Do not want to stay in sydeny because of the prices are high at this time.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip in December

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am guessing you are on a mobile device. Perhaps you could come back when you can access this website properly, mobile devices are great for quick specific questions but for planning an entire trip it would be useful if you could see the FAQ's and also if you could post more details to give us something to work with, budget, duration, other interests, etc, really anything you can think of that we need to take into account when making suggestions. Oh, btw I hope you realise we are just travellers or local residents helping people plan their own trips, we are not travel agents. Okay, the specifics so far. December is the start of our main summer holidays, if budget is an issue can you visit at another time? The Great Barrier Reef is very far north in the tropics and December is starting to be not the ideal time for that region, so again, can you visit at another time? The main reef destinations are Cairns/Port Douglas or the Whitsundays, both require a flight from Sydney. Zoos and animal parks are easily found wherever you go, no problem there, we can give specific suggestions as you refine your itinerary and requirements. Bondi is a beachside suburb of Sydney so if you don't want to stay in the city centre have you had a look at what's available around Bondi?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip in December

Bondi Beach is in Sydney.

Zoos are everywhere.

The Great Barrier Reef is over 1500 miles north of Sydney.

December is wet season on the Great Barrier reef. There is every chance of high heat and humidity, rain and possibly cyclones. It's also stinger season.

Perhaps you should do some reading and some research and have Google Maps handy. Then you can come back to us with a proposed itinerary and we can help you tweak it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,920 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip in December

First of all, is that post even a question? It looks like a statement to me.

>>>Do not want to stay in Sydney because of the prices are high at this time<<<

That's depends on when exactly you're travelling - unless of course you plan on being in Sydney the entire month of December. It's a month of extremes, but many assume immediately the *whole* month is expensive, which simply sent the case.

The third week of December, there are five star properties advertised from AUD$160/night, and four star from AUD$125/night - which is on par with mid winter rates.

But anyways, I agree with MacKnee and Emel, we need considerable clarification, and some sort itinerary. Unless of course it was just a statement, in which case, ok nice.

Dunnellon, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trip in December

Sorry for the confusion.My daughter and I will be in Australia December 21- Jan2.We thought of staying in Melbourne 5 nights, Cairns 4 nights and Sydney 4nights.wanted to see the Great barrier reef,rain forest,,beaches, zoos,.The great Ocean rd.would like to end up in Sydney for my last 4 days.Would like to see as much as we can in the short of time we have. Any suggestions that yall may have ?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip in December

That's fine as a basic plan.

I take it you noted the advice about Cairns on your other thread tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255360-i2156-k…

Do check out the alternatives to Cairns and let us know if you want to adjust anything there.

It might be an idea to actually write down what you've got so far as a day by day itinerary.

A couple of important things are where will you be for Christmas and New Year? You need to think about confirming accommodation and having some idea of what to do about Christmas lunch. It sounds like you will fly into Melbourne and then fly out on Christmas Day or Boxing Day (day after Christmas Day)? And it sounds like you want to be in Sydney for NYE? THAT you really need to get organised as soon as possible, especially as you are on a budget.

The attractions of Sydney and Melbourne are easily seen by walking or public transport or hop-on hop-off tour. If you want to stay outside the CBD (central business district) then you'll want to find somewhere with convenient public transport into the city that doesn't waste too much of your time. From memory Cairns attractions are less walkable but it's a long time since I've been there, I'm sure someone else can help with that. For visiting places outside the cities (particularly thinking of the Great Ocean Road you mentioned, also Sydney's Blue Mountains perhaps?) did you intend to take an organised tour or rent a car? IMO a tour might be best for the GOR because you can do it in a day and some of the tour companies get very good reviews here, self-driving requires at least one overnight stop which is more complicated in peak season.

Well, that's a few thoughts for starters.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 07:17
Dunnellon, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trip in December

This is the hardest trip I ever had to plan! Still working on it,so far this is what I came up with.Arrive in Melbourne on the 21 od Dec.Rent a car.Drive the great Ocean rd. Tasmania National forest St.Kilda beach,market shopping.(Kangaroo Island,depending on distance )Whitsunday Island.Will fly to Cairns on Dec.26.rent a car see barrier reef,daintree rain forest,sunshine coast beaches.On dec.30 fly to sydeny which already have plans for and will leave on Jan.2.Does this sound reasonable ? We will probably change some things around when we get there also

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,920 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip in December

>>>On dec.30 fly to sydeny which already have plans for and will leave on Jan.2<<<

Does that mean you already have a hotel booked for NYE in Sydney? We are being very specific about a hotel reservation for NYE with good reason.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip in December

>>Arrive in Melbourne on the 21 od Dec.Rent a car.Drive the great Ocean rd. Tasmania National forest St.Kilda beach<<

Could you please check those details. Tasmania is a state. Are you thinking of a forest or national park or something near Melbourne?

Dunnellon, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: trip in December

NO Was going to look that up tonight. Hoping they are not all booked

Dunnellon, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: trip in December

Tasmania National park or I could go to any zoo