We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney or Melbourne?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney or Melbourne?

Hi guys, I have plan to travel to Australia for 1 week on Nov. Should I choose Sydney or Melbourne? Please advise me what must to see and do there - any tips? Really appreciate your help. Thanks

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sydney or Melbourne?

Hi guys, I come back with my draft itinerary:

- 4days in Sydney: Day 1: I will be there around 10 AM, check in hotel, walk around city, go to the Centennial Park in the afternoon, walk around Darling Harbour, see Harbour brigde in the evening.

Day 2: day trip to Blue Mountain - bus tour

Day 3: a tour to Manly beaches

Day 4: go to Melbourne. Should I do a coastal road trip or get a flight? there are lots of things to see on the way with coastal road trip? How long does it take normally?

- 3days in Melbourne:

Day 5: day tour to The Great Ocean Road

Day 6: Philip island trip

Day 7: walk around city, shopping before catching night flight back home

Can I? Which places that I should add more? I'm also iterested in Lake Mountain. Do I have time to go there?

Sorry guys for many questions. Thanks for your help.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sydney or Melbourne?

Is there anything specific you are interested in at Centennial Park? Where is your hotel? If you are staying in the city centre there are closer parks and gardens.

You cannot do all the things you have listed AND travel by road between the two cities in one week. Doing a road trip would leave you with almost no time to see anything in Sydney and Melbourne. You should fly.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sydney or Melbourne?

It is 900 Kms between the two cities.. Why would you spend a whole day driving or two if there are not afew drivers. You will see nothing on the main highway . Fly and don't waste time.

Warrnambool...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Sydney or Melbourne?

Hey, I have lived in both Sydney and Melbourne - These places are not why you want to come to Australia for. Sure you might want to see Bondi beach but I can show you better! much better!

If you are only confident and relaxed in the city then I say Sydney - lots to do with lots of other people to share it with. If I was going to Sydney I would look at blue mountains, port Stephens and Coffs harbour

Melbourne for a week get out of the city - The great ocean Rd must do but it is long for a day (14 hours and 500+ km driving) look at multi day options, the Grampians national park - great aussie bush and mount Gambier limestone caves and sinkholes three amazing places all different.

Come to Australia enjoy the peace the space, the beaches, the wildlife, the night sky full of stars, multicultural food this is the amazing journey you should have........................

15. Re: Sydney or Melbourne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:16