We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

Planning a trip to US, as in travelling around while there, but won't be possible to pre-plan every move and date, if my itiniery for boarding in Australia has a ticket showing a different point of entry and exit from US, will this create any problem?

for example, a Jetstar ticket for return, exiting US, in september via Honolulu.

A Virgin ticket going in via LAX , in June?

as in, will boarding desk HERE create any issue, as they do of course if you don't have evidence of exit from US?

or, likewise, at DHS immigration at American end?

Edited: 02 June 2014, 03:03
Best Seller
Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
761 reviews
from US$168.50*
Best Seller
Great Ocean Road Small-Group Ecotour...
1,360 reviews
from US$105.80*
Best Seller
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,109 reviews
from US$132.70*
Best Seller
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
253 reviews
from US$162.80*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

There is no issue departing the US from a different airport than the one you arrive at. Of course, you need to ensure your total time there is within the visa limits - normally 90 days for Australian passport holders on a tourist visa waiver (you need to pre-apply for this via the ESTA travel authorisation process).

The US does not have exit immigration and thus does not record your location of exiting the US in your passport. So no one really ever knows what airport you left from. (Though I expect modern data matching systems with airline tickets may give law enforcement this data if they really need it.)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

Just like many Americans enter Australia through Sydney and depart through Melbourne, you will be entering the U.S. through one city and departing through another. It's called a "mutli-city" or "open jaw" ticket and it's done all the time all over the world. That in itself will not be a problem with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). But, as Jeremy points out, your total time as well as other things could be an issue for ICE.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

thanks...so it's called an 'open jawed" itiniery ?

but TSA45 seems to dissent a little and suggest that Virgin --might-- create difficulty and awkwardness for boarding at the Australian end?

It's all simply a matter of flexibility and convenience, so I am not tied to destinations and dates as I travel around the US by various means, where every ticket I book way in advance may no longer suit and then requires either no-show and forfeit , a hefty date-change fee if you can even get a useful change.

I have two previous trips to US , 2009 and 2011, in my passport. I first=stopped Hawaii both times.

And I mean, there was no evidence of me overstaying or any other Visa breaches either time, even the longest stay I had weeks left on the 90-day limit.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 07:44
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

I regularly fly our of Australia, though one country to several others on several different tickets with several different airlines and have yet to be questioned by any airline when checking in about my future travels.

My last two trips to the US involved flying into LAX then from JFK to Europe then on to Asia then home using 4 different airlines - there was no problem.

It's probably not a bad idea to carry a copy of your itinerary for your entire journey and travel confirmation from airlines, but you'd have that with you anyway, wouldn't you?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

Can't you just show your eticket receipt for the other flight if asked?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

and last time I went in with a one-way Jetstar to HNL, along with a bundled-type Jetstar one-way back from HNL..the bundling allowed me to eventually cancel and refund that rather expensive ticket, minus $50, because I paid the extra for the options on it...while an Air New Zealand LAX-home was purchased about a week ahead of departure, over a month later, for about $750, when I knew my trip had run it's ad-hoc course.

the only difference between plans this time and that time, is I dont have any actual stay in Hawaii so would like to have the option of not messing around necessarily having to go in via there just to change planes there.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

thats exactly what I desired or planned to do, Honu-Hana...but TSA seems to be raising the possibility of VA our end still 'moment please"-ing about that..

and I mean, that's why I created the thread...to be 100% sure of where i stood...not get it all done and roll out there only to have some officious little pest who is not sure one way or the other, to get obstructionist with me.

the risk you can run then, with airline staff who arent sure on a point like that, is that when in any doubt, they often default to 'No, can't do it"

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

Emel...the difference in what you have there,

is with that itiniery,

you have evidence of outright exit on-travel from the North American entity..you have no full-stop in the US to speak of at all..

whereas North American entity is my destination, apart from eventual departure back again.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 08:02
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,189 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

I hesitate to make any comment for fear that it will just prompt some petty rebuttal, however .....

No one cares what you do while you're in the USA. No one cares what your itinerary is or isn't. No one cares what you did last time. No one cares whether you depart from the same port as you enter. The issue is whether you are going to be allowed to board a plane to go to a country from which you cannot show intent to depart. No airline is going to allow you to board in the first place if they think you're going to be refused entry at the border. End of story.

You MUST be able to prove your intent to depart ANY country in order to gain easy entry. The best way to do that is to have an air ticket out.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets- Points of entry and exit to/from USA

Isn't your >>evidence of outright exit on-travel from the North American entity<< the Jetstar ticket from HNL back to MEL in September?