We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travelling 2014.

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Solo travelling 2014.

Hey guys,

I'm flying out to Sydney at the end of August and I'm planning on travelling for a year, just finished university so it's a break from real life for a year! Due to exams and dissertation etc I have only just started to plan my trip and I was hoping for tips & ideas on places to visit? Never travelled properly before never,ind on my own so as you can imagine I'm rather nervous!

I fly straight to Sydney but as everyone is keen to tell me how expensive it is I'm thinking of only staying there for a few weeks then moving onto somewhere else!

I have a million questions about what there is to do, how to get a car, whether to bother with travel insurance etc etc etc but some general tips and suggestions on places to visit would definitely be appreciated!!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,440 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travelling 2014.

try www.travellerspoint.com

australia is expensive - sydney is double expensive

absoltely you need travel insurance

check ot www.australia.com

I assume you have a WHV since you plan on staying a year? if not get that organised ASAP

you will find masses of info via the search box (directly above your post) - use it like a google search - key words/phrases etc tio access all previous posts on any topic you like - for example WHV, packpacker, gap year

and finally - we're not mind readers - we can't advise if we know nothing more than you are coming for a year and are currently too busy to do your own research

Edited: 02 June 2014, 22:29
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travelling 2014.

Check out woofing...willing workers on organic farms...its not paid employment but bed and meal for x amount of daily labour.

Up the qeensland coast plenty of travellers from overseas do picking and harvest work.

I never get travel insurance. But only you can measure your risks in the activities you underake. Im not advising you not to have it. I just believe its a rip off and choose not to purchase.

3. Re: Solo travelling 2014.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:17