We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia Trip - please advice

Porto, Portugal
2 posts
Save Topic
Australia Trip - please advice

I have 2 to 3 weeks off to travel within Asia in November and I was wondering I could visit Australia instead of more SE Asia countries, considering I live almost exactly the other way around the world I am a bit excited to get to know the place!!

The negative side is that I don't really have much info about what to visit and what to do, I was guessing flying to Melbourne and off Sydney and drive from one place to the other either by car or motorbike but thats really only the 1st idea... I wanted to do something extraordinary, what would you do in your first visit??

Many thanks in advance, your help will be very valuable!

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

What would I do? probably not what you would do. For starters I don't know how to ride a motorbike and I'd want more luggage space anyway.

For more info look at the FAQ's on the right of your screen and check out the official tourism website http://www.australia.com/

The usual recommendation for a 2 week first visit is 3 destinations, for example the popular combination of Sydney-Rock-Reef. The distances are huge so flying is the way to go. However if you could spend 3 weeks then you could add a destination or two and include some driving somewhere.

Porto, Portugal
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

I do understand what you mean, but I would rather travel light and be free to go wherever I want to, when I want to... I'll be visiting arriving from the Himalayas so I'll be pretty sure I will want beach and sun more than anything else, any recommendation from locals?

I obviously want to visit big cities but to get to know more of the local culture and traditions I love to stay in smaller places and villages!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

Something interesting would be to fly into perth and get the indian pacific train across the nullabor to sydney then you would relaise how big a country this is and be glad you are not driving anywhere. However a shorter driver in a hire car would be between melbourne and sydney on the coast road....allow 2 weeks to do this and stop and walk some beaches and see those villages ♡

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

I think none of us know what makes something extraordinary for you.

Beaches- north NSW coast

I also think you need to do some research and look for what energises you.

If you want to do a hike you could go to Tassie with its beaches and hike the Overland track, BUt I could be writing for hours to make suggestions...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

If you are only spending a small part of your 2-3 weeks in Australia and you are interested in a less city-focused trip, you could fly to Darwin (cheap fares from SE Asia available on Jetstar). Check out the city and Kakadu then take either a bus tour or the train down to Uluru. You can then get domestic flights from Darwin, Alice Springs and Uluru if you want to head to Sydney or Melbourne after.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

Sounds like perhaps pick two cities and drive between them.

Sydney - Brisbane?

Sydney - Melbourne?

Melbourne - Adelaide?

Brisbane - Cairns?

I think you'd want to include Sydney but you could do that and then fly to wherever to start you drive.

I personally think the Great Ocean Road is extraordinary, but there's all those other places I haven't visited yet which also sound good.

Maybe you could get some place names and google images of them, see what appeals to you?

Edit: I should mention that there are FAQ's on the right of your screen for some of those routes.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 15:10
Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

November? come to South australia and swim with sharks, tuna,dolphins and our incredible Australian Sea Lions.. you won't find anything else like it in the world and it's easily accessed by a short flight from Adelaide to Port Lincoln. Eyre Peninsula is home to some amazing australian experiences. Take a look at Gawler Ranges wilderess Safari site www.gawlerrangessafaris.com if you would prefer to join a laid back tour or ... explore for yourself.

Had to throw it in the ring because swimming with these sea creatures rates as the best travel experiences I've ever done, anywhere in the world. So under-rated and yet so memorable

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

<<< you won't find anything else like it in the world >>.

Much as I like to promote SA too - that is not exactly true - South Africa, NZ, Namibia, Galapagos even Antarctica (and closer to home WA) all offer similar experiences and some of them much more accessible.

Though to be fair cage diving with sharks is only available in South Aus or South Africa.

And IME Gawler Ranges is a b...dy long way to go for not very much. One of the very very few places I've been anywhere in the world where I was utterly disappointed.

There are however other wonderful things to see in SA - like the Flinders Ranges and the wine growing areas and Kangaroo Island

Edited: 05 June 2014, 07:48
Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Australia Trip - please advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16