We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

Everett, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

My future wife and I will be on our honeymoon in march/april of 2015 and are planning a 4 week south pacific-ish honeymoon. Fiji, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.

I'm looking for advice about the Australia leg (obviously). We will be here ~1 week, coming in from either Fiji or New Zealand.

We know a number of the things we want to do (Sydney Bridge climb, see the opera house, that type of thing), but I also want to visit Tasmania and we'd like to take the Spirit of Tasmania for either there or back.

So here is my theoretical plan, any advice is welcome:

Fly into Sydney from Fiji, check into downtown hotel (TBD)

Spend 3 or so days in Sydney doing stuff

Fly from Sydney to Hobart

Spend 1 night on the island and see stuff

Get to Devonport somehow (advice?) and take the overnight boat to Melbourne

Fly from Melbourne to Christchurch.

In looking up flights and whatnot, I'm also looking for advice on the reliability of low cost carriers for these types of routes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Spirit of Tasmania
Spirit of Tasmania
1,622 Reviews
Devonport, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Devonport
Devonport
Tasmania, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

I don't think the Tasmanian portion of your plan is the best use of your time in Australia. There is so much to see and do in Tasmania, that one day is a mere drop in the bucket. (I was there for 5 days and that was much too short.) I didn't find the ferry between Devonport and Melbourne to be anything special and it takes up a lot of time that you don't seem to have.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 18:51
Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Devonport
Devonport
Tasmania, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

I recently spent 10 days in Tasmania and saw only a fraction of the island. Going there for just one day is not worth it in my opinion. The Spirit of Tasmania is nothing special, I'm not sure why this would appeal to you?

If you are committed to only having one week in Australia I would stick to one destination and its surrounds. E.g. Sydney with a side trip to the Blue Mountains, or spend the whole week in Tasmania (that would be my pick).

Cheers

Edited: 05 June 2014, 03:14
Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Spirit of Tasmania
Spirit of Tasmania
1,622 Reviews
Devonport, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

I'm sorry but unless you have enough time then the ferry between Melbourne and Devonport is just an inefficient way of getting between Tasmania and Sydney. I think you are focussed on the idea of cruising over to a scenic little island rather than the reality of touring a state which is the same size as Ireland or Switzerland. Longhorn74 found 5 days too short, I'll mention that my first visit was 3 weeks! 2-3 weeks is about right for a complete circuit, or a shorter visit to a specific region is possible. But IMO 4 or 5 days is about the minimum and >>Spend 1 night on the island and see stuff<< is, as the others have said, not worthwhile. If scenic natural beauty is what you are after then you have the World Heritage listed Blue Mountains in Sydney's backyard and it''s doable as a day trip but also well worth an overnight stay. Or if you'd like to tell us more about what inspired you to consider Tasmania then perhaps we can offer some other ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Devonport
Devonport
Tasmania, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Everett, Washington
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

Well, the reason I wanted to do Tasmania was I was hoping to get to see some Tasmanian Devils in their natural habitat before they go extinct (I won't be back for many years, so it might happen by then). Also, the possibility of visiting the worlds southern most distillery sounded fun.

The boat was more about not wasting too much travel time but still be fun, as an overnight on the ship wouldn't be any less of a waste of our time than a hotel room.

I know we won't get much time there, and maybe I'll have to accept cutting it from the trip, My fiance has already been to Australia for a 2 week trip several years ago, so she's seen a bit of the country already but Tasmania would be new to her as well.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

With one day in Tasmania you fly into Hobart to visit the distillery (although from a quick look at their website I didn't see any mention of tours - you may want to confirm this) and see Tassie Devils at a wildlife park. Pretty much no chance of seeing them in the wild (even if you stayed a month you would be lucky to see that).

Taking the Spirit of Tasmania would not then save any time, as you would need to drive to the other end of the island to catch it (using up half a day). Quicker just to get a flight from Hobart back to Melbourne.

Personally I still don't think it is worth travelling all the way to Tasmania for only one day - but that's me, if it is worth it to you go for it.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Spirit of Tasmania
Spirit of Tasmania
1,622 Reviews
Devonport, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

You can see Tassie Devils in wildlife parks on the mainland as well. I believe there are places to try to see them in the wild but not feasible for a one day visit to Tasmania.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
7. Re: Honeymoon Leg in Australia Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:16