We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

Hi I am from Seattle and I would like to know if it is possible to cover all the must see places in Australia and New Zealand in 1 week? I have a biz trip coming up in July, so I would really love to see it all if it is possible. Would love to allocate 2 days on the beach for diving and say hi to the cute animals. Thank you so much!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

In a word, no. A week is barely enough to do one or two things in one of the two, certainly not both. It's

Ikea saying can you see all the must sees in USA and Canada in one week. In both cases there is too much to see and the distances are too great.

Where will you be for business? Without knowing a starting point it is hard to give you any advice.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

In a nutshell NO. Australia and New Zealand are two different countries ableit separated by a big ditch although we do regard ourselves as cousins.

Have a look at Google earth at both countries calculate travel distances and times and then work out some sort of itinerary and post this on the forum for comment. Australia itself is as big as mainland USA.

On the basis of your post if you allow for travel times etc you would be lucky to be able to spend a day in each country.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

I agree, no this is not possible. Choose two locations in one country to spend your week in.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

Go back to your grade 7 geography text book and have a look at the size of Australia.

If you want beach and diving at this time of the year you need to look at North Queensland

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

You're kidding, right??

Lichtenstein and Monaco are probably the only two countries you could cover in a week.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

You couldn't cover the must sees of 2 cities here let alone the must sees of 2 countries, one of which is the size of the USA. With 1 week you could check out the highlights of Sydney and maybe a trip to Cairns to dive on the barrier reef. That's it.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

Totally sure this is a joke

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

Edited: 20 June 2014, 14:11
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

I nearly choked on my "dark and stormy" when I first read this. I think two days in each of Sydney and Auckland would be all the time the OP would have in each country.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Australia and New Zealand in 1 week?

Thank you for your suggestion, your suggestion matches up with my research too. I will spend my 1st week in sydney and cairns.