We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in the Snow

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in the Snow

My daughter wants to spend Christmas 2015 in the Snow. We've never had a white Christmas and not sure where to visit. I dont want to be snowed in somewhere for weeks, just visit for a few days as part of a four week holiday Overseas. We were thinking North America, Canada? Or is Europe better? We are a family of five including 21, 19 and 14 year old children. Any suggestions?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in the Snow

I would look at the Canada and North America, Europe forums for advice.

I doubt if you will get any assistance on the Australia forum as our snow season is in our winter and only in the NSW and Victorian high country.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in the Snow

I actually think this is one of those times when your home forum might be a useful place to start? I haven't looked in a long time but I don't recall there being a US forum so you have choose in a state forum, likewise for Europe you have to choose a country, and I'm not sure if there's an appropriate 'beyond Destination' forum, maybe from memory 'Family Vacations' or something like that, I don't remember if there is a winter holiday type forum? Starting here means some Aussies who have done the same thing, gone overseas to have a White Christmas, might share their experiences and suggest which specific overseas forums to post your query on so you're not just starting threads all over the place to no avail. HOWEVER I do think you should post on the Australia forum, not the Surfers Paradise forum. Maybe use the Help Centre to request TA to move this thread rather than start another new one.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in the Snow

I spent Christmas 2011 in Finland, visiting relatives. They had a mild start to winter, so I didn't get a White Christmas, however, I did spend a few days in Lapland which gave me the snow experience (and the Reindeer sleigh ride, Husky Sled driving etc.) I also visited Tallin in Estonia & really enjoyed the Christmas markets. There is something special about Europe at Christmas.

I also visited the US in November/December 2010, so got to see the Christmas decorations in New York & Disneyland. With the shorter days, the Christmas lights & decorations are magical.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in the Snow

I had Christmas in the Black Forrest a couple of years ago & loved it. The German Christmas markets were fabulous, the people friendly and the little Black Foreest towns so picturesque.

It didn't snow on Christmas Day, but it did on other days.

Thoroughly recommend it.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in the Snow

I have had many a Christmas hols in Europe - Austria or Switzerland as they are more likely to have snow at that time.

They also have all the lovely little xmas markets which are great.

Pick a town where there are lots of other activities for the kids as well- so something with shopping, other sports like skating, x country skiing, pools etc and thermal spas. One place in Austria was Seefeld. Check it out and see if that is like what you are after. You are a short distance to Innsbruk wither by train or drive so that can be a day trip.

Google spa towns/ places like Leukerbad which is quite small but pretty. Zermatt (Switz)

Places like Chamois in France are also great - but not sure of quality of early snow.

All these places have self catering apartments which are the way to go as food in suoermakets is ok priced.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 06:59
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,704 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in the Snow

Well, I am going to be in the Cradle Mountain area of Tasmania and I have been told, there's even a slight chance, I might see a bit of white stuff this Christmas :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in the Snow

One year I will do this ... looks beautiful. Chance of being stuck in blizzards though ... all over Europe last yaer so who knows?

visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/…christmas

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,140 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in the Snow

I too have spent numerous Christmases in the Northern Hemisphere, and I see this almost as a four part question; best for snow, best for family, best for Christmas, best fit for the larger travel plan.

There are dozens of locations that fit your criteria's, but budget and overall travel plans will narrow down your selection considerably - and bear in mind, some of the European locations *isn't* guaranteed snow.

In Europe for Christmas, I loved Munich but for families wanting guaranteed snow, I think the US is a safer bet, and IME there are far far more 'snow' activities for the kids (I make a point of this because the European cities are amazing with Christmas markets, lights and festivities, but isn't entirely focused on snow - which is your focus, as opposed to Christmas in winter). These locations below, would tick all the boxes for a family friendly White Christmas in the US

* Crested Butte, Colorado

* Vail, Colorado

* Beaver Creek, Colorado

* Steamboat, Colorado

* Breckenridge, Colorado

* Stowe, Vermont

Edited: 29 June 2014, 10:01
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in the Snow

One of the prettiest 'white Xmases' I have experiences was in Boston. The locals really go all out with their fairy lights.

For stunning natural beauty I agree with KVEs recommendation of Colorado.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in the Snow

Switzerland, Germany and Austria are lovely at Christmas and if you go high enough, you can usually find snow somewhere, even if it's not white at lower elevation

This might be of interest to you regarding the US:

"Based on data from 1981 to 2010, northern New England, the Upper Midwest, Rocky Mountains and Intermountain West have the highest chance, more than 75 percent, of a white Christmas.

Minneapolis, Minn., Green Bay, Wis., Buffalo, N.Y., and Burlington, Vt., are among the cities in the U.S. that have the highest chance for a white Christmas.

"It tends to stay colder across the northern tier during the day and night, so when snow falls, it's less likely to melt," AccuWeather Expert Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski said.

Farther south, Chicago has less than a 40 percent chance of having a white Christmas.

"By the time Christmas comes around, there is a pronounced temperature difference from north to south [across the Midwest]," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Jim Andrews said. "The 'refrigeration' needed to keep the snow from melting is less reliable in Chicago compared to somewhere like International Falls, Minn."

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Edited: 29 June 2014, 10:36