We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

Tucson, Arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

Hi there!

My fiance and I are looking for advice on just about any things to do while in Australia and New Zealand during our honeymoon. We are in our early 20s. We are going to be there in the middle of October this year with 4 days in Port Douglas, 5 days in Sydney, and 5 days in Auckland/Rotorua area. We are up for just about anything that would help us take in everything the cities have to offer while spending the first few weeks together as newlyweds.

I have found a lot of day trips and tours that we are interested in but still open and want more ideas. We also wanted advice on any little markets or restaurant we can explore together and try together. We are more interested in experiencing a landmark/site rather than just taking a normal tour of it, i.e., we want to see a play in the Opera House rather than tour it.

Our Interests would include scuba, hiking, culture, food, spas, sports, shopping, adventure, wildlife, romance.

The only disslikes I can list are bars/nightlife

We hope this gives enough background to get a good discussion started.

We appreciate you taking the time in responding.

Thank you

Oz
Level Contributor
12,293 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

Hi,

Congratulations on your marriage.

With such a short time frame my advice would be to stick to either Australia or New Zealand, not both, unless you really enjoy spending your holiday/honeymoon in transit lounges and dealing with customs and immigration.

With your stated interests I would suggest:

1. that should you choose Australia at that time of the year you should only spend two or three nights in Sydney and add in Tasmania and/or Kangaroo Island in addition to you current rushed plans.

2. that should you choose New Zealand that you fly from Auckland to Christchurch on day one (assuming Auckland is where you enter the country) and do a two week circuit of the South Island finishing back in CHC. The usual two week loop is CHC, west coast glaciers, Wanaka, Queenstown, Fiordland, Aoraki/Mt Cook, CHC.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

I agree with the above, you should choose one country or the other to get the most out of your trip. I know you're probably trying to see as much as you can after coming such a long way, but I think you'll enjoy yourselves more if you don't try to stretch.

Have you considered visiting Central Australia before/after Sydney? If you are into nature and culture it would be an amazing addition to your trip. Tasmania would also be a fabulous option.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

>>4 days in Port Douglas, 5 days in Sydney, and 5 days in Auckland/Rotorua area<<

On paper that looks reasonable.

However, have you actually checked how much time is involved in the travelling? Flight duration, how early do you have to be at the airport (longer for international flights, ie between Aus and NZ), travelling from airport to hotel, etc. How much of those days is taken up with simply getting from A to B, and would you feel the time spent is warranted for what you get?

My feeling is the same as the above advice, it might be better to choose one country in your timeframe.

Tucson, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

First off thank you so much for the responses!

I should have clarified that all airfare and hotels have been booked. We only need to fill the days with activities and memorable times.

I should also state that I have considered travel time. We will be in Australia/ New Zealand for a total of about 16 days but am only accounting for 14 due to travel time including airfare and timezone changes.

We understand that we are taking on a lot while we are there.

Any opinions or suggestions that would answer the original question of restaurants/markets to try and go to. As well as any activities that you have personally tried and loved that falls into our interest is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
349 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

We did 4 cities in our two week honeymoon in October (Port, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne). It was a little jam-packed, but we knew that going in.

Where are you staying in Port? We spent a day on the GBR, a day doing the Kuranda Scenic Railway and train. And another day one a tour of the rainforest.

Sydney, we stayed in the Rocks area, so we were able to see all that touristy stuff. The behind the scenes tour of the Opera House is awesome. And the Toranga zoo is worth a see. We also did a Blue Mountain tour, and had great weather (except for the wildfires)

Enjoy your trip!

Tucson, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

That is too funny! In Port we have the exact same with GBR, Kuranda, and Daintree tour for three days and another free day planned right now but not booked. what is your opinion with the things you did in Port? Also what company did you use to get to the Blue Mountains and would you recommend them?

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
349 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

I really liked Port. It was beachy, and being a guy who appreciates nature, there was just so much to see. That was the first leg of our trip, so we kinda relaxed a bit. We did a Quicksilver Low Isles trip for the GBR. I'd been to the GBR before, but my wife hadn't even snorkeled. So that was really fun.

Our Blue Mountains, we used Australian Wild Escapes. I'm not sure if they're the cheapest, since we had a travel agent book us. But it was great. We had a snafu with the driver being late due to engine troubles. They decided the vehicle wasn't road worthy and offered a reschedule if we didn't want to wait for the new one. We couldn't (due to time) and everybody else on the tour apparently did. So my wife and I got a private, guided tour of the Blue Mountains. Our guide was great, too.

8. Re: 2 week Honeymoon Australia/New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:17