We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
First timer

was thinging about planing a trip for mid to late May- but just don't know where to begin what to see or whicj cities to go to-what help can you provide? Do you think it's too late to try to book with miles?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,520 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer

Hello,

Best place to start is by researching the FAQ's at the too right hand side of this page. That will give you ideas as to your interests, and in turn, give you ideas as to your entry and exit cities in Australia. I don't think it's too late to book your flight with miles, but this is something that can only be determined by checking with the airline to which you have your FF membership.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer

http://www.australia.com/

check out this link too

Also if you want the targeted advice from people here- maybe give us some more info like- budget, what your interests are , who you are travelling with or not etc

Edited: 07 July 2014, 23:23
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer

I will just comment that mid to late May, late autumn, is a good time to visit any of the major regions of Australia. The wet season in the tropical north will most likely have lifted and almost all areas should be open. Yet the dead of winter has not yet hit in the south, so the weather can be lovely in Sydney, Melbourne, etc, as well (there can be periods of rain in the autumn). Tasmania will be a little chilly compared to the summer and will have shorter days, but still enjoyable.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer

will be travelling with my partner who will be turning 60 so I thought this would be a perfect trip as he is always speaking about going to Australia-I would think seeing the major sights, some beach time, relaxing, perhaps some outback touring. Not looking for budget hotels or the other extreme but a moderate pricing is fine esp if I can use my miles for flights-Does this help? I thought Sydney and Melborne

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer

DCA Traveller there are thousands of possible answers to your question. Imagine answering the question "I want to visit USA, what it there to see" and you may see our dilemma.

When you partner speaks of visiting Australia what is it he talks about (e.g I want to see/do/experience X)? That may be a good place to start.

Why Sydney and Melbourne? A lot of people choose these because they are Australia's two largest cities - but it doesn't really fit with "outback touring" and there is much more to Australia than just cities.

If the choices are overwhelming, a popular Australia starter trip is Sydney/Uluru/Cairns. Maybe you could research that and see if it fits what you want. Once you have a better idea about what you might like to see and do, please post a rough itinerary here and we can comment on it. That way you will get the best advice.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer

Oh and letting us know how long you are planning to travel for would help too.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer

I was just trying to draft a reply and I see ShazDwn just said much of what I was thinking (and probably rather more clearly than I would).

So I really hope you'll take note of these points ShazDwn made and get back to us with more info so that we can help you with your trip.

❝DCA Traveller there are thousands of possible answers to your question. Imagine answering the question "I want to visit USA, what it there to see" and you may see our dilemma.

When you partner speaks of visiting Australia what is it he talks about (e.g I want to see/do/experience X)? That may be a good place to start.

Why Sydney and Melbourne? A lot of people choose these because they are Australia's two largest cities - but it doesn't really fit with "outback touring" and there is much more to Australia than just cities.

Oh and letting us know how long you are planning to travel for would help too.❞

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer

Thanks for your advice-I was thinking 10-12 days late May? I really would like to book my tix and then plan my trip but did not know what two cities I should arrive and leave from back to the states as I wanted to try to us FF miles.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer

Wouldn't it make more sense to plan your trip first so you book tickets to and from the right airports?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer

ShazDwn I agree but since I'm trying to use miles for two tix seats might not be available and then I would not be able make the trip, would it be safe to fly into Sydney and then ????? what would be a good choice back to the states?