We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oz Experience vs. Greyhound

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Oz Experience vs. Greyhound

Hi! My friend and I are planning on doing 5 weeks in Australia, starting in October, going up the East Coast from Sydney to Cairns. We are planning to do it by bus and just wondered whether anyone has done the new version of Oz Experience (I know it now just uses Greyhound) and thinks it is worth it. I know it might save money on included trips (Whitsunday's etc.), but we could always book these in Oz and get a local price? Is Greyhound on its own still quite sociable?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
Oz Experience
Oz Experience
24 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oz Experience vs. Greyhound

Hi,

If you don't get any quality answers here you might also try the forums over at www.travellerspoint.com, they seem to have a lot more discussion of backpacker-focused travel.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oz Experience vs. Greyhound

Greyhound Australia? I hear they've been having financial problems ever since they switched from integral to body-on-chassis buses. I don't really know about them though, since they have zero actual affiliation (current or historical) to Greyhound US/Canada. Greyhound US/Canada is improving a lot and uses only integral buses.

JW

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oz Experience vs. Greyhound

John, this is the Australia forum, surely that should be obvious we are talking about Greyhound Australia.

I find it quite difficult to believe that the design of the buses is a major contributor to financial problems. Nevertheless, Greyhound Australia is not in any financial problems that I know of. Although they've had their ups and downs in the past the company appears to be quite successful after they were purchased by KordaMetha in 2006. It's privately held so the exact financials are not a matter of public record.

Oz Experience is a division of Greyhound by the way! So if the comment about financial performance is somehow meant to discourage people from using them, the OP's choice doesn't matter anyway.

Relevant article here:

news.com.au/finance/deal-to-take-backpackers…

And why would you post on something that you "don't really know about" ?

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
4. Re: Oz Experience vs. Greyhound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 05:15