We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian Escapes Holiday Club

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Australian Escapes Holiday Club

Is anyone here a member & have experience with Accom Corp, trading as Australian Escapes Holiday Club?

Specifically, have they been able to find better prices & deals for accommodation, car rental & flights than you've been able to do for yourself?

What's your experience with their points system?

Friends been a member for sometime but havent used it. However, they are planning a couple of trips this & next year wonder whether it may be worthwhile renewing as they have quite a bank of points.

The sales pitch is that renewal price of $340 is "just for today & only available to certain long term members". No info on all the "new & improved benefits" are available on their website.

I'm a sceptic - but they've asked me & I said I'd ask you what you think.

All first hand experience & industry knowledge gratefully accepted

118 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

G'day Bokhara,

First up, I have to state I have never used this club nor any other, but the business model is very familiar to many other wholesale 'escape' clubs.

My suspicion is that they use membership fees and deposits, to leverage discounted purchases, and the actual inventory (for both accommodation and flights) doesnt exist. So it appears to me that they basically cobble together 'packages' as the requests comes in. My initial concerns after asking around and reading all 164 pages of their online brochure;

- Aside from a bunch of coastal properties (not really any large scale commercial properties), nothing else provides evidence of their claim, that they have direct contracts with hotels and airlines.

- All their packages look like creative variations to drip pricing, with complicated LayBuy prices quoted over 52 weeks. I'm only guessing but when you have supposed 'resorts' priced at $8/week over 52 weeks, it's the same as saying $416/night no?

- Their T&C's on page 162 give really vague conditions, and often states 'refer to our website' - but the website main page says it's under renovation

- Their T&C's also specifically states "These rates are only examples", and they proceed to list additional taxes, booking fees, and how it is all subject to availability at time of booking. This is a big red flag for me, as many 'club' type holidays use delay tactics over a lengthy time (years) to keep pulling members back in, but in the meantime, they accumulate $300-400 odd per member per year with no real return.

I'm certainly not suggesting it's a scam, as I don't have any evidence to do so. But that simply adds to the issue that there's so little disclosure about who they source their products from. And for what it's worth, I can't see any substantial savings, nor how they determine their advertised 'normal price' vs their club member price.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 08:41
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

Late add.

I just want to say that I have never come across any deals/offers/discounts in the industry, where a 'pay now, claim later' type of scheme had been of any benefit.

The only exceptions maybe like Groupon or Deal of the Day type offers for a local meal, but beyond that, I *personally* would not participate.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 08:50
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

That's more or less what I thought too, KVE.

Thanks & I don't think my friends are going to renew.

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

in July we were offered a voucher deal for Wirrina golf resort in south australia - pay a $79 deposit and then additional $140 for a three night stay [5 and 7 night options too]. When we went to book have been told Wirrina is not honouring this deal. Instead of offering our money back, they offered us 2 other properties at about double the cost! I have sent a letter demanding refund in 7 days, or will take legal action. This may be an elaborate 'bait selling' scam, or a genuine business deal gone wrong - but even if its the latter we are due a refund for failure to honour our contract. Either way the outcome will demonstrate the integrity of this company. Will keep you posted.

Townsville
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

Steer well clear of this crowd Bokhara. If you're cashed up and looking for somebody wanting to take your money this is the place. From my own personal experience, go see a travel agent, face to face. They won't con you into something you don't want, can't access at any time you want and don't come back asking for more money. This is from my own experience. You know the old saying, if it's too good to be true, then it probably isn't! Happy travels!

Townsville
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

Just to get you suckered in even more, they've changed their trading name now to Hightide. Sounds a bit like a case of 'catch me if you can' . Wobetide anybody who deals this this bunch of cons.

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

My Parents are elderly , 80 yrs and have numerous phone calls saying that they need to pay more money to this organization. They finally used some of their points this month for a 3 night stay in Sydney and guess what had to pay a huge amount to book this 4 star hotel as well as use points. I investigated the price on line for the same stay and i could book it for a huge amount less. When they stayed they also asked reception and they said it is way above their normal price to book it direct with them. on returning my parents rang them and asked for a partial refund and they refused. i dont want this company ringing for any more money from my parents. I think they need looking into as targeting elderly people is acting without integrity.

Singleton, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

Can somebody tell me where has Australian escapes gone and are they the same as high tide holidays and Discover Qld website? Feeling confused

Townsville
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

High tide are one and the same as Australian Escapes. They have changed their name. Good luck dealing with them. I'd rather see a travel agent face to face. Only talking from personal experience.

Boorowa, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Australian Escapes Holiday Club

I'm in the same boat & about to try to take advantage of the so called benefits

I have renewed for a further 4 years

On about 4 occasions we have used the company & found savings

Is it better than shopping around??????

I'm unable to say, this time I'm going to really dig deep before I renew again

Reply to: Australian Escapes Holiday Club