We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in four weeks

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in four weeks

My wife and I will be in Australia from mid-August to mid-September. We expect to be in Sydney for 7-10 days. What else should we be sure to see in the rest of our time? We're looking at the NSW Discovery Pass for the train to travel the west coast (tho I think that only goes as far as Brisbane, not Cairns). Good idea? Other suggestions? Thanks

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,421 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in four weeks

West Coast?.. Brisbane and Cairns are on the east coast

You have given us very little to work with - you do know we are not travel agents - just fellow travellers who help when and where we can.

Perhaps do a bit more research and come up with a draft itinerary - or at least a wish list of things you think you might like to see - from here we can help with the logistics etc -

Start by reading the NSW trip reports (links directly left of my post) - you should get lots of ideas from these

http://www.visitnsw.com/ would be a good starting point

as would www.australia.com

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in four weeks

Never could keep my overseas east and west coasts straight.

It's hard to make a sample itinerary because I know so little about what is in the country. We would like to experience as much variety as possible once outside Sydney. I'd hate to set up an itinerary where we see the same type things on four different places.

Things we like: unique geological landscapes, wine country, some less touristy places, ferry or boat excursions. Don't mind long drives, bus rides, or train rides as long as the trip is varied and interesting. Does this help? Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in four weeks

Jackal, have you spent any time on www.australia.com as suggested? The site gives you a great overview and once you find things that pique your interest, you can come back here for more specifics? You can certainly get everything you list in NSW and Australia, but it's such an open-ended question that it's really hard to give any specific answers.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,668 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in four weeks

Hi,

>>Never could keep my overseas east and west coasts straight. <<

East is east and west is west no matter where on the planet you are with the exception of the poles.

With only four weeks you need to be ruthless in your choices but should include at least some of the following once you have done your research:

Uluru/Kata-Juta

The Great Barrier Reef

Sydney

Kangaroo Island

Tasmania

Canberra

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see in four weeks

Hi,

Other options & suggestions regarding a 4 week itinerary. - 30days

Sydney - 7/10 days Uluru - 2 days - Cairns -7 days - Melbourne - 5 days - Tasmania. - 7days this will give you a city / reef / rainforest / beach / outback & national park experiences.

Hire a car in Cairns / Uluru / Tasmania - you don't need a car in Sydney or Melbourne unless you want to see the Great Ocean Road.

For additional info on Uluru -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

6. Re: What to see in four weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:15