We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Ghan.

Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
The Ghan.

I am looking at visiting Australia sometime March to May 2015. My interests are photography, nature and countryside. Cities are of less interest to me.

A search on here brings up the most recent post about the Ghan in 2011 so I am looking for more recent experiences. Reading the older posts I saw a complaint that the carriages were dirty and uncomfortable. If I travel I would take the Gold class so I'd be interested in updates on how that is these days.

I would be looking at travelling Adelaide to Darwin with stopovers . I will have time as I'm retired with no deadlines. I see that there are optional tours offered at the stopovers but I wonder if others have found it better to travel to the attractions independently a better choice? Which are 'must see' and which might be avoided?

Any recent experiences of travel on the ghan would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Ghan.

If you change your search preference to "date" rather than "relevance" you will see plenty of posts dated 2013 - 2014 on the topic.

Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Ghan.

Thanks for the tip. I thought it was an odd result.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Ghan.

Many people come to ask questions, but rarely come back to post experiences, especially more recently.

There have been improvements with the addition of the retention tanks some time ago, but the rolling stock essentially has not changed. However, dirty and uncomfortable depends greatly on ones expectations, which class they travelled and time of year. The latter has a greater impact than many believe.

In terms of value, since you have all the time you like, perhaps you could gauge airfare ADL-AYQ or ASP, self explore (the off train tours are simply few hours) and board The Ghan from ASP. I personally feel the ADL-ASP sector is not worthwhile.

If you have any detailed question about The Ghan, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Ghan.

Rafi yes its a common prob with the search box - people assume there are only old topics because the "sort by" is not immediately noticeable.

France
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Ghan.

Here are links to 2 recent threads re The Ghan, and although both concentrate on the red service rather than Gold there is some great information in them.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k76044…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k76329…

Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Ghan.

Thank you. Much appreciated. I am still in early planning stage at the moment but I am sure that there will be many questions that I need help with.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Ghan.

I have traveled on the Ghan but back in 2012. It was a wonderful experience . I wrote a review here somewhere:)

Regarding the optional whistle stop tours its probably best to use the ones booked through the Ghan as opposed to organising your own. If there is a delay or problem returning to the Ghan after, the train wont travel off without you. We used them and visiting the places later on our own found the prices charged by the Ghan were the same. The Alice explorer at Alice Springs covers some interesting places ( having been to them when staying in Alice Springs). Either of the Nitmalik cruises would be fantastic. The walks they mention (700 mt) is flat but uneven with a few steps. The walk to the rock art is a little uneven and up steps but not heavy walking).My experience was though, to book the tours as soon as you get onboard cause the better ones book out quicker. Oh and I noticed the tours are included in Gold class fares .

What a great adventure you will have!

Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Ghan.

Thanks for the info. The whole tour hasn't crystallised yet but I am beginning to get a feel for it. Flying into Sydney or Melbourn and travelling the GOR to Adelaide then take the Ghan to Darwin (perhaps flying Adelaide to Alice Springs, not sure yet). Windering about how to travel the GOR. I am travelling alone and I could hire a car but then I'm going to have to keep eyes on the road which might restrict enjoyment. Taking a tour bus or something is restricting and dependent upon the wishes of others and the tour guide. I haven't worked that one out yet.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Ghan.

OnTheGo - this was your orginal post about your trip

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k5349…

Unfortunately the review that you linked to in that thread is long gone. TA did a clean up of multi day "tours" and all the reviews for the Ghan and the Indian Pacific (including one I did) - went walkies.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Ghan.

Rafi - for GOR many here recommend http://www.atwad.com.au as they are really small groups - not huge coaches with loads of passengers.