We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar

California
Level Contributor
464 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Jetstar

Hi,

Anyone here have good experience traveling with Jetstar especially with checked in luggage?

They're charging like $70, sound like robbing customers to me.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar

They are a low cost airline, that's how it works, you pay for checked luggage. I avoid them if there are alternatives, every time I've flown with them I've had flight times changed that have been inconvenient.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 23:05
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar

Your onboard experience has nothing to do with baggage fees.

Economy Starter and Starter Plus are the two lowest fare buckets for Jetstar, and designed to cater for travellers with carryon luggage only. It's no different with the Saver Lite option with Virgin.

If you feel it's robbery, you've always got the option of choosing a baggage inclusive fare.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar

Where's the "robbery" bit come in? Are Jetstar forcing you to take too much luggage?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar

It's no different to low cost carriers in USA except you pay for your luggage on booking instead of on check in.

Jetstar is a good budget airline, yes there are schedule changes from time to time but that can happen with any airline. You can get some great flight prices too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar

if you add checked baggage when you book your flight its only A$18 per passenger for a 20kg bag

California
Level Contributor
464 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetstar

thanks for replying.

Philnicau-melb: Thanks, that make more sense.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetstar

I find that question pretty funny coming from an American.

Having flown tens of thousands of air miles on domestic US flights (Delta, US, United, American, Alaskan) I can assure none of them come anywhere close to service and quality you get on Jetstar. Plus on all the 9 US flights we took last year we paid for luggage there too.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetstar

They only charge higher fees if you arrive at the airport with overweight or oversized carry on luggage and have to gate check it.

Like all Australian airlines (and unlike most US carriers) upper limits on weight and size for carry on luggage are quite strictly enforced here.

California
Level Contributor
464 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetstar

I paid for luggages when I'm flying within US/Canada but never had to paid $70. I couldn't find the information anywhere saying that I can pay in advance and it's only $18 or less than $70 per bag. I paid somewhere from $20 to $35 per bag here. I guess my question wasn't clear enough caused some confusing.

FYI: The only US carrier that doesn't charge luggage fee is Southwest and if you check flight on Expedia or Priceline, you won't find it. You need to visit Southwest site.

Thanks for all your responses.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 06:51
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jetstar

It depends on what fare you have. If you have booked the cheapest you are allowed 10kg of carry on but checked in luggage will be extra. Avoid higher fees by purchasing checked in luggage allowance on line. Jetstar is a reasonably decent airline but costs can add up if you don't plan in advance. From a service point of view it's ok, decent food and beverage available for purchase, clean aircraft, comfort very fine for domestic flying. Often you can find comparable fares on Qantas who are an all inclusive airline. Research is the key. Check the airlines websites separately, don't use a booking site.