We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 month beach rental for Canadian

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
6 month beach rental for Canadian

Hey there,

I've recently been going through a rough patch here in Canada with a divorce and such. I need a change of scenery (refresh the mind) for a bit and thought 6 months in Australia would be a good fit. I'm an active 35 year old guy who just needs a place to meet people and relax and take it in.

My question…is there a good beach community that comes to mind that won't break the bank and allow me to rent a nice condo close to the beach? I would consider around $1200-$1500 a month…so if that gets me a dump somewhere real popular, I'd prefer somewhere else where my money can go further.

Just throwing out a feeler to see if this would be a path I could go down. Thanks!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,768 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

Step 1- get a visa! Unless you are of independent means,that would mean getting a visa that allows you to work - and I'm afraid you are over the hill for a WHV.

Step 2 - decide where in Australia you would like to be. There's approximately 30000 km of coastline in this country so saying you want to be near a beach doesn't narrow it down much.

Step 3 - Decide what time of year you want to be here - over summer or over winter. That will help determine where you should be - summer is not a good time in the north. Winter is not a good time in the south. Perhaps this should be step 2?

And remember that the rest of the country also thinks that being near a beach is a good thing. That means beach side real estate is expensive and that's reflected in the rent. In many of the popular places, you budget will only buy you one or two weeks in a fully furnished beach side condo.

Have you considered The Philippines, Bali or Thailand? Your budget is going to stretch a lot further and give you a much bigger bang for your buck there than it will here and they also have some pretty spectacular beaches where you can chill to your heart's content.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 02:03
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

#1... I would not be working.

#2... Anywhere in Australia…throw out 5-10 options so I can begin researching…thats all Im asking. I get the size…Canada is kinda big too.

#3... Will be based on #2

I just saw on Tv a couple renting a beautiful 2 bed condo in Rainbow beach for 1600…so this got my appetite going.

Been to Thailand…not looking for that scene. Also…I wouldn't need to be right on the beach…just walking distance.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 02:20
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

emel49 has given you some really good advice ... and I would agree with the miles of coastline comment ... there's a whole continent of beaches. Most of us live on the east coast of the country ... for better weather (excluding winter) I would look anywhere between Woolongong just south of Sydney and Noosa just north of Brisbane ... that's a start to check out a map. Norther NSW ... Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Yamba etc are all nice towns with fairly nice climates within a few hours drive of a city.

Check out rentals here ... http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

Check some of the towns here ... www.visitnsw.com/destinations/north-coast

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

Yeah, I was thinking east /north east side would be the focus. Thanks for the start.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 02:32
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,066 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

If you are after something more 'tropical' look to north of Noosa in Queensland ...

http://www.qldcoastholidays.com/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

Like Im sure most say…I'd like the white sand, surf, great coffee shops and pubs, away from the city, small town vibe, pretty girls;)….I'm aware my budget will make it a bit tough seeing I'm trying to do this without working.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,768 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

There's one glaring problem with your wishlist. By the time a beach town with white sand and great surf attracts pretty girls, has great restaurants, top baristas and pubs, it has generally lost it's small town vibe and becomes Noosa, Byron Bay or, worse still, the Gold Coast. It also has rental prices that reflect it's popularity.

My own personal favorite area is the north coast of NSW - it never gets too hot and steamy.

Small towns like Crescent Head, South West Rocks, Yamba, Evans Head and Ballina are still relatively intact. But to even consider these areas you'd need to buy a car. Have you considered that aspect?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

I thought about renting a car here and there to see the country…but don't think Id buy…I don't think anyways. Thanks for the list emel…Il get looking at them right away:)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,768 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

Six months of car rental is going to cost you a LOT more than buying a car and then selling it before you leave.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 month beach rental for Canadian

Woolgoolga. It's small, has a couple of decent coffee places, on the beach, close enough to other places & hinterland to explore.

6 hours to Sydney, 4 to Brisbane.

Buy a used car. 6 months without one will limit your travel, flexibility. Public transport outside the major cities in Australia is not as extensive as in more populated countries.