We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

Hi, just in case someone asks ... especially Americans ... will they need a PIN for CC payments from August?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

There will be absolutely no change to overseas credit card requirements. The only changes are to Australian issued cards, and even then only on 'chipped' cards.

However, as time goes on and more cards have PINs, it's going to cause some issues - human and technical - for people who don't have PINs. Like it is some places in Europe now.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

For example PINs are required when purchasing tickets from Sydney Trains vending machines with a credit card. (They really should upgrade them to support Paywave/Paypass, but that won't help with people from countries that don't have NFC yet, like the USA.) This is not a new requirement , but just an example of what inas said - a reason that everyone should be encouraged to obtain a PIN regardless.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,289 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

My understanding is that EVERYONE in Australia has to have a PIN for their credit card by August 1st. Signing will no longer be acceptable. That is the advice of all 5 banks that I deal with.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

inas has it right. Amex Australia has advised that holders of non-chipped cards can continue to sign until a chipped card is issued (they're apparently rolling out replacement cards early-mid 2015). Holders of chipped cards must use a PIN from 1 Aug.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,289 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

Yes well that means EVERYONE except Amex users then doesn't it????

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

Well if you are 'in Australia', but have a credit card issued by an overseas bank or institution you also don't need to have to have a PIN.

Australian issued cards with a 'chip' need to have a PIN from August 1. Everything else is unaffected.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

The banks are apparently prepared to make special arrangements for sufferers of dementia -

fightdementia.org.au/sign-or-pin-people-with…

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

I'm not being unkind (having had family members with dementia), but I can't help but feel that if a person's dementia is so bad they can't remember their PIN, perhaps letting them have open access to their bank account is not in their best interest.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

While I agree with you in principle YF, I think there are many situations where a carer can take a person shopping or to the bank and that person is still able to sign their name. However, for that carer to know the account holder's PIN would legally require them to have a power of attorney or some other legal authority.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,289 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PIN Credit Card payment for visitors???

<,However, for that carer to know the account holder's PIN would legally require them to have a power of attorney or some other legal authority.>.

No not necessarily I know that to be fact through personal experience. It can be arranged through simple instruction given to the bank by the account holder. No legal hoo ha required. - and I agree with YF too