We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in Australia

Bedlington, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks in Australia

Mix of staying with friends and a hotel.... Adelaide and Cairns.

Do we need to take Australian currency with us, get it from ATMs when there?

Do we need much currency or can we live pretty much on our credit cards while on holiday?

Traveling from the UK

Roger

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in Australia

Of course you can get Aus currency from ATMs !

And yes - for the most part you can get by just with credit cards and a debit card if you want to withdraw cash. I personally rarely carry cash any more. Some places will have a minimum charge for a credit card - ie a small food shop may have a $10 minimum etc. others may have a surcharge - this will generally be written on a sign near the till ie 1.5%.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in Australia

There are those that are uncomfortable traveling overseas without some local currency in hand before leaving home. I am not one of those people because I find the cost and hassle of obtaining foreign currency is far outweighed by the ease of getting it at an airport when you arrive in country. I see no reason not to wait to get your Australian dollars until you land.

Bedlington, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in Australia

Thanks very much - very helpful.

Roger

4. Re: Two weeks in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 05:17