We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
234 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

My wife, our son (then 23), daughter (then 21), and I will be in Australia in early January for 2 weeks.

We are just starting to plan the trip, and Frommer's suggested:

1) flying in to Sydney

2) the Blue Mountains

3) Cairns and the Great Reef

4) Kuranda

5) Ulura

6) Kinds Canyon

7) Alice Springs

8) Bondi Beach

9) Sydney

Questions:

1) Our kids love nature/animals most of all - any suggestions?

2) Suggestions with the itinerary weather wise for that time of year?

3) Are we missing any sites that you would want your best friends to see "for sure?"

4) Any activities which are wonderful and we should do?

5) Hotel tips?

6) Rent a car or public transportation? (we favor public, if doable).

7) Any tips for these locations? Words from the wise?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

if you do a forum search for 'Sydney Rock Reef" - you will get access to lots of posts about this iconic Aussie itinerary - its easily doable in 2 weeks.

Have a read through some of the info and come back if any of your questions are still unanswered

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

Your main destinations would be better summarised as:

1) Sydney

2) Cairns

3) Uluru - Kings Canyon - Alice Springs

4) Sydney

This is a popular itinerary, and doable in two weeks, though the Uluru/Kings Canyon/Alice Springs section could be a bit rushed - there are long distances to cover between those locations. I might consider going to Uluru only (flying in and out).

This is *not *an ideal time to visit central and northern Australia - Uluru can be extremely hot, limiting your ability to enjoy it in the daytime. In far north Queensland (Cairns), it is wet season with very hot and humid weather, frequent rains, and the chance of a tropical cyclone ruining your holiday. There are also dangerous jellyfish (stingers) on the beaches, limiting swimming opportunities - though you can still snorkel or dive the reefs with stinger suits.

For Sydney the weather is usually fine (nice and warm) but this is also the high season of summer and accommodation will be at its tightest and all tourist attractions will be busy, so keep that in mind.

Have you read the various FAQs at the right side of the page?

Edited: 13 August 2014, 08:18
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

Weather in Sydney-Uluru-Cairns in January would be comparable to LA-Grand Canyon-Miami in July, it's similar climates.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

Hi,

Jan is not the best time for Nth Queensland or Uluru. Its the wet season & stinger season.

www.marinestingers.com.au

Jan is also our very busy summer school hols so you will need to book ASAP. (anywhere in Australia)

For the cities you don't need to hire a car. Public transport is good in most cities.

Alternatives to research - Tasmania / Kangaroo Island / Noosa / Byron Bay / Lady Elliott Island

Itinerary change - suggestions. - 14 days.

Sydney - 4 days / Noosa - 4 days or Byron Bay / Melbourne - 3 days / Kangaroo Island.- 3days

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
234 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

These are wonderful suggestions which we will file - I think we should save this trip for 2016 when we can avoid January.

The stingers would not be welcome for my wife and daughter - wow, am I grateful for everyone's useful information.

Thank you!!!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

Your proposed itinerary would be great for the months of June, July and August. Maybe you can plan to go then in 2016.

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
234 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

Thanks for that advice, but isn't it cold then?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,356 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

It doesn't get as cold here as in the Northern Hemisphere - and will be warmer in the North, so a good time for FNQ.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 04:01
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

Winter in Australia is nothing like winter in Michigan, especially in Far North Queensland (Cairns/PD). I've been to all the places you are considering in the Southern Hemisphere winter (June, July, August) and they were great places to go at that time of year. As already mentioned, it will be warm but not humid in FNQ (and not stinger season either). At Uluru, you can expect chilly nights, but the days are quite pleasant (and few, if any, flies!). Sydney could be a little cool with an occasional drizzle, but I think you would find it very "spring-like" (short-sleeves with long pants and a light jacket in the evening.)

If you have the ability to travel at any time of year, you might prefer September - October. It will be warmer all throughout the country, but not yet the searing heat of summer (and still not stinger season in FNQ). The only drawback to that time of year is school holidays, so check the Australian school calendars for those dates (which will be published well in advance) and try to avoid traveling during those times as prices are higher and availability is lower.

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a Trip to Australia in Early January 2015 - Help?

I really think you should try and go to the whitsundays. You can hire a yacht and cruise around the islands. It's so incredible. Such a beautiful place. Head out off Airlie Beach

I grew up there. It's definitely worth it trust me, you'll be glad you did. You can also visit the GBR from Airlie